Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H points players?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H points players?

Postby btb2007 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 am

How many people on here are in head-to-head points leagues? Since so much coverage and analysis is devoted to categorical leagues, I have a hard time finding good h2h points analysis.

My first question: who would you rate higher in a points league? Prince Fielder or Ryan Howard? Howard has been a HR and RBI machine and hits in a better lineup. But Fielder is younger, has better on-base skills (important if walks count as points), and hits lefties better. I'm thinking Fielder gets the nod.

Right now my top 5 in a h2h points league (I'm going top 5 for now since I have the 5th pick in my draft):

Pujols
Hanley
A-Rod
Braun
Fielder
10-team mixed h2h points league. Scoring: 1B=1 pt, 2B=2, 3B=3, HR=4, RBI=1, R=1, BB=1, SB=2, HBP=1; W=6, QS=4, IP=2, K=1, BB= -0.5, H= -0.5, ER= -1, HBP= -0.5, CG=5, SO=5, SAVE=8
btb2007
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H points players?

Postby kab21 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:03 am

One reason that there is not much out there for H2H pts leagues is that most leagues have unique scoring. I play in two leagues and both have very different scoring and are different from the default.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:19 am

btb2007 wrote:How many people on here are in head-to-head points leagues? Since so much coverage and analysis is devoted to categorical leagues, I have a hard time finding good h2h points analysis.

My first question: who would you rate higher in a points league? Prince Fielder or Ryan Howard? Howard has been a HR and RBI machine and hits in a better lineup. But Fielder is younger, has better on-base skills (important if walks count as points), and hits lefties better. I'm thinking Fielder gets the nod.

Right now my top 5 in a h2h points league (I'm going top 5 for now since I have the 5th pick in my draft):

Pujols
Hanley
A-Rod
Braun
Fielder

It would, of course, depend on the particular scoring format of the Points League. Are strikeouts a negative for batters? Cause Howard's good for about 50 more of those than Fielder. Fielder is also a stronger candidate to post a higher OPS, which point leagues tend to favor. Without any other information, I'd probably say Fielder.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:30 am

btb2007, you should get all of your scoring categories organized in a spreadsheet. Then make an equation at the end to calculate the points from your league's scoring. Input historic stats from whatever time periods or splits you want (2009, 2008, after ASB 2009, etc). You can see who scores better in your league in the past with this, instead of basing your thoughts on roto values.

You should also get projected 2010 stats for each of these categories. Whether that means using stats from a website or other publication that has all of your scoring categories, creating your own projections for each player from scratch, or taking someone else's projections and modifying them to include all of your categories.

Once you've done this its a cut/paste of the formula to calculate projected value for the players. I would make positional rankings, ranking the players strictly by projected scoring value. Don't let perceived name value or roto values alter your rankings - if you need to adjust the projections for some players to get more realistic stat lines for them do that - but these scoring values show you what you think each player will do in your league's scoring this year. That is how you have to have them ranked (again by position) for your draft.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:47 am

I'd advise you to get a copy of J35J's spreadsheet and input your formula to calculate points from his projections.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:23 pm

FWIW my league has Howard 7 points better than Fielder (which is not much at all)...i think Howard can be a bit streakier, but he also has some monster weeks and Prince is a bit more steady
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -115)

Postby colt4523 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Fielder should score more points. He usually ends up with better numbers in both of my points league. Most of the difference in points leagues is in Roto steals tend to get a lot of attention, points leagues not so much.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:50 pm

ive played in a couple points leagues. each is different...and like the above poster said you have to get projections and plug them into your leagues scoring settings.

nothing else matters. do not abitrarily make a ranking list...it means nothing. all that matters is points scored(and position)

example. 2 years ago i found that randy winn scored a whole lot of points in one league. i dont know why...and his rank was like 200. he was well better than 200 in that league due to the scoring. and he was just sitting in FA bc in standard leagues he is a bum. i dont know why he scored so good....but he did...and that is all that matters

also make sure and look at pitching. very crucial. i am in a league every year that is highly skewed to SP. closers are almost worthless...and batters mean something...but not near as much as SP. a good start earns a SP 50 points. an avg start will earn then around 30. and a min of 20 points generally if he doesnt get pounded. pujos scored around 25 each week as the top batter.

its an auction....so alll the money goes to SPs....and you fill your roster with the money you cant spend on SP. so would a standard ranking sheet mean anything in that league.....absolutely no

to me the only thing you need to do is get projections and plug them in. and bam....the easist rankings you've ever formulated
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby btb2007 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Yeah I've got spreadsheets with last year's numbers, projections, 3-year averages, etc. I have one for each position. I've learned more about using Excel from fantasy baseball draft prep than anything else I've ever done. I use the points as a starting point, but also go with my gut feeling and take positional scarcity into account. You guys seem to be as obsessed with fantasy bball as I am. I just found this site though and am hoping it will be a good place for discussion.

My hope is that one of my top 4 (Pujols, Hanley, ARod, Braun) falls to me so I don't have the make the decision between Fielder and Howard (and even Utley for that matter). But I need to be prepared in case that doesn't happen.

My general strategy is hitting first, then load up on pitching depth. But I try to not get too locked into an approach because so many things can happen in a draft. I won my league 2 years ago and am usually right in the thick of things so I feel good about my strategy.
10-team mixed h2h points league. Scoring: 1B=1 pt, 2B=2, 3B=3, HR=4, RBI=1, R=1, BB=1, SB=2, HBP=1; W=6, QS=4, IP=2, K=1, BB= -0.5, H= -0.5, ER= -1, HBP= -0.5, CG=5, SO=5, SAVE=8
btb2007
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 pm

btb2007 wrote:Yeah I've got spreadsheets with last year's numbers, projections, 3-year averages, etc. I have one for each position. I've learned more about using Excel from fantasy baseball draft prep than anything else I've ever done. I use the points as a starting point, but also go with my gut feeling and take positional scarcity into account. You guys seem to be as obsessed with fantasy bball as I am. I just found this site though and am hoping it will be a good place for discussion.

My hope is that one of my top 4 (Pujols, Hanley, ARod, Braun) falls to me so I don't have the make the decision between Fielder and Howard (and even Utley for that matter). But I need to be prepared in case that doesn't happen.

My general strategy is hitting first, then load up on pitching depth. But I try to not get too locked into an approach because so many things can happen in a draft. I won my league 2 years ago and am usually right in the thick of things so I feel good about my strategy.

In my experience, the most valuable asset in a H2H Points League is Starting Pitching. Even more so in the league I'm in because it's weekly lineups, but they are by and far the most valuable players in my league, to the point where if we were to have a draft (we have an auction, and it's a contract league, so this is impossible...) I'd probably take a SP in the first round. I can't think of many other formats where I could say that and not be being a complete wise ass. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers