Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Yeah, yeah. Whatever. :-D I dislike arguing with Yanks fans on general principle.

You're not listening to me. All I said was that Joba wasn't OBVIOUSLY bloody anything this year, and he wasn't was he? He wasn't headed into spring training and he certainly wasn't when he came out the other end.

Maybe you're misunderstanding my timeframe here. Early last year I'm sure the Yanks had Joba inked in as a starter. Later last year they snipped the ink and wrote his name back in in pencil. Then added Hughes's name next to it, because Hughes pitched better than Joba last year.

No one ever said he was seat warming for Hughes either. Try not to compound being a Yank fan by adding sloppy argumentation to you resume. ;-D
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1753
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Yeah, yeah. Whatever. :-D I dislike arguing with Yanks fans on general principle.

You're not listening to me. All I said was that Joba wasn't OBVIOUSLY bloody anything this year, and he wasn't was he? He wasn't headed into spring training and he certainly wasn't when he came out the other end.

Maybe you're misunderstanding my timeframe here. Early last year I'm sure the Yanks had Joba inked in as a starter. Later last year they snipped the ink and wrote his name back in in pencil. Then added Hughes's name next to it, because Hughes pitched better than Joba last year.

No one ever said he was seat warming for Hughes either. Try not to compound being a Yank fan by adding sloppy argumentation to you resume. ;-D


sigh...
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1890
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:42 pm

I for one am very surprised that they didn't give Joba one more season to develop as a starter, maybe they know something about him that we don't.
This seems very knee-jerky. IMO he's most likely the future closer now.
Cashman soon won't be paying his closer $15mil a year, I think he'll like that idea - more money to put towards Pujols.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11301
(Past Year: -37)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:45 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:clever .gif

If that's all you've got... :-D [edit] Since we're editing our posts, I'm going to just come out and say I think you should have left the Faily guy .gif in there. I thought it was funny anyway...

Aussie - yeah, I completely agree that it seems knee-jerky. Joba might not have looked all that hot last year, but at the end of the day he's still a better pitcher than Hughes, at least potentially, even if he didn't really show it last year.
Last edited by Fenris-77 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1753
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby drunkmonkey » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Cashman soon won't be paying his closer $15mil a year, I think he'll like that idea - more money to put towards Pujols.


That's not funny. :-t
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 602
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 31 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:18 am

You'll have to excuse Dash's surliness. For the most part I'll agree that Joba had the job but he has failed to meet expectations. Velocity is down and overall is just ineffective. And this has led to Hughes being brought back into the equation. But what hasn't been said is that if Joba had met expectations last year then there is a decent chance they don't bring in Javy and instead have a competition for the 5th spot between Hughes and Aceves (and maybe a guy like Gaudin).

And personally if I were a Yankee fan I would like to see Joba in AAA. Fixing what's wrong should be the priority.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5372
(Past Year: 108)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:37 am

I'm not in the least bit bothered by surliness. I'm often a touch sury myself, so it's a no harm no foul kind of exchange (with a side of smack, naturally) ;-D

I'm all for whatever the club thinks they need to do to get Joba all fixed up. If that means AAA, then fine, or if it means coming out of the bullpen and taking some extra coaching, I guess that's fine too, although personally I don't se a lot of value in playing him as a setup guys this year. If I were a Yanks fan I think I'd probably opt for AAA if it means Joba can continue to work as a starter. He could certainly use more innnings to work on his pacing and command, plus work in some secondary pitches.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1753
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:19 am

Fenris-77 wrote:I'm not in the least bit bothered by surliness. I'm often a touch sury myself, so it's a no harm no foul kind of exchange (with a side of smack, naturally) ;-D

I'm all for whatever the club thinks they need to do to get Joba all fixed up. If that means AAA, then fine, or if it means coming out of the bullpen and taking some extra coaching, I guess that's fine too, although personally I don't se a lot of value in playing him as a setup guys this year. If I were a Yanks fan I think I'd probably opt for AAA if it means Joba can continue to work as a starter. He could certainly use more innnings to work on his pacing and command, plus work in some secondary pitches.


The problem with fixing him in the bullpen is that then you need to build up to starter innings again. I see this move as probably permanent if they start him in the bullpen this year. I would have him in AAA trying to fix what's wrong and then later in the season he can be promoted as a starter (probably not possible if he's in the bullpen) or even as a RP'er in August after he's pitched a decent number of innings.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5372
(Past Year: 108)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:04 am

kab21 wrote:The problem with fixing him in the bullpen is that then you need to build up to starter innings again. I see this move as probably permanent if they start him in the bullpen this year. I would have him in AAA trying to fix what's wrong and then later in the season he can be promoted as a starter (probably not possible if he's in the bullpen) or even as a RP'er in August after he's pitched a decent number of innings.
In general I agree, I think he's better served to build up his starting ability than to go back to the bullpen. I don't care enough to second guess the Yanks managers and trainers though, so if they decide to go the RP route with him I'm not going to cry into my cups. I'm quite sure that Yanks fans and anyone with Joba in a dynasty league would probably be cheering for the AAA route, and I can see why.

The only Yanks pitcher I own this year is actually Hughes, so things have broken my way thus far. :-D
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1753
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: SAGNOF

Re: Chamberlain, Feliz, Hughes

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:56 am

DaSh 1s wrote:dude...he pitched himself out of his job this ST....

I can't argue with non-yankee fans who have NO IDEA about the situation/organization, anymore...


DaSh 1s wrote:You have got to be messing me....., OK, let me try this approach

Evidence:

2008: Joba was the fifth starter
2009: Joba was the fifth starter
Edvidence:
2008: Phil Hughes was not the fifth starter/DL
2009: Phil Hughes was not the fifth starter/DL
2009: Phil Hughes was a RP.
Evidence:
2010: Phil Hughes is the fifth starter
2010: Joba Chamberlain is now a RP

From this we can deduct Joba Chamberlain lost his fifth starter role (which he has owned for the past two years) to a Relief Pitcher (Phil Hughes) that has never owned the fifth starter role.

Being that Joba was the fifth starter and now a relief pitcher, what happened? he no longer has his previous job, and otherwords HE LOST HIS LAST JOB. He was the freakin 5th starter! Phil Hughes was not! And Phil STOLE his previous job. I don't know how much easier I can make it for you.

The organization OBVIOUSLY had him set to be a starter, because HE WAS the freakin 5th starter. He would STILL be the damn starter past '10, if he didn't pitch so poorly enough between last year and this spring. But he pitched poorly enough to LOSE his job.

That relies on the false premise that teams keep the same rotation year to year. They don't. Look at many teams and you will see that guy's that had jobs the year before have to re-win the job in spring training.

Just give me a link to an article from one website where the GM or the manager of the Yankees (and not some fan and not speculation by a sports writer) that Chamberlain had the 5th starter spot heading into spring training. That you have not posted one yet, leads me to believe that you cannot find one and are now just defending your own incorrect assumptions that had no basis in reality.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8014
(Past Year: -397)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests