Return to Baseball Leftovers

Another late-round sleeper, Jeff Francoeur?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Another late-round sleeper, Jeff Francoeur?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:10 am

Did Frenchie add 30 pounds of muscle and proclaim himself to be Basque country strong?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:42 am

Sekrah wrote:Man, most of you guys don't have a freaking clue about fantasy.. No wonder why I win all my leagues every year. Up against donkeys who think like you guys do.

You win all of your leagues 8-o , you need to quit playing in public leagues. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:52 am

Sekrah wrote:I'm just a moron, what do I know.

.444, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 4 Runs

Leave this .300, 25+ HR, 100+ RBI, 80+ Run guy on your leagues free agent list.. it's your team, not mine.

LOL.
Comment bookmarked. :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby B-Chad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Sekrah wrote:I'm just a moron, what do I know.

Nothing... moving on.

Unless Frenchy's new found plate discipline carries on for more than the current 3% of the season we've completed, he'll continue to be a mediocre/bad bat who's streaky and prone to prolonged slumps. But what do I know, statistics prove nothing ;-7
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm not a huge Francoeur fan, and he's been quite frustrating for the brunt of his professional playing career. Though I must say that since he's joined the Mets, he's been one of the few bright spots they've had, so for now he's A-okay with me. :-B
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:12 pm

I've had Country/Frenchy Strong on my teams for on-and-off periods for the past 3 years and maybe this is the year that he turned the corner.... but I wouldn't bet on it. He's had similar periods in the past where he has a really good week, so you put him in, and then he'll go 1-for-27 so you take him out and then he goes 15-for-32. He really is (or at least seems to be) a streaky hitter.

So I wouldn't validate anything based off of the first week's of games.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm not a huge Francoeur fan, and he's been quite frustrating for the brunt of his professional playing career. Though I must say that since he's joined the Mets, he's been one of the few bright spots they've had, so for now he's A-okay with me. :-B

Yep, I don't think any Mets fans who actually watch his play on a regular basis have any real issues with Frenchy. He should obviously be hitting 5th. His lack of plate discipline problems are still there and always will be but I don't see how he's not a legit fantasy option with his power upside in any deeper league. You could do much worse.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Love the cautious optimism here shown by our resident Mets fans. You could cut it with a knife. :-b
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Sekrah » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 am

Another dinger for Francouer last night and he's now up to 6 walks vs 3 Ks. He averaged 33 walks, 116 Ks per season in his first 4 full seasons.

Swing % is at a career low 48.5%, career average of 58.5%
Contact % is at career high 84.0%, career average of 76.7%

All of this while he's seeing less strikes than ever. Zone % is a career low 43.7%.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... _team.html

Francoeur, a notorious free swinger, has tried to adjust his approach. Instead of being aggressive on every pitch - near the plate or not - he is determined to be aggressive in the strike zone.

"The one knock for me has always been my on-base percentage," he said. "It's not so much that I want to get the walks, it's that I want to make pitchers think different things."

The series against the Nationals offered Francoeur chances to prove his commitment, he says. Against Washington starter John Lannan on Saturday, Francoeur resisted the temptation of a first-pitch fastball that wasn't quite right because "I'm probably going to see it again," he said. "I can feel it out."

In an at-bat against Washington closer Matt Capps, Francoeur didn't swing at several outside sliders he might have hacked at in the past.

"I realized he was going to put me on base if I let him," Francoeur said. "He wasn't going to let me beat him and as I start to figure that stuff out, I'll be a better hitter. Next time I face him, he's going to have to come to me and that's what I'm trying to do, just show I've become a more mature hitter."

Capps ultimately walked Francoeur, who has four bases on balls in six games this season after drawing only 23 in 632 plate appearances last year.

Francoeur also says he's been helped by the presence of David Wright and Jason Bay, fellow righthanded hitters who may be pitched the same way. He no longer tinkers regularly with his stance - he and hitting coach Howard Johnson were in the video room laughing last week while watching old video of Francoeur squatting too much in an at-bat against Florida's Ricky Nolasco while with the Braves.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z0lBCRfQN4

Sekrah
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers