Return to Baseball Leftovers

McGwire Effect?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: McGwire Effect?

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm

3 HRs, 6 Ks vs Haren tonight

They're turning into a team of Mark Reynoldses.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:47 am

Ding dong(s)?
Want an easy icon?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cards07Champs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:17 am

Almost the entire disparity can be attributed to Matt Holliday and Colby Rasmus v. Chris Duncan and Rick Ankiel.

Last season's pair had combined for 2 HRs through the same number of games. This season, Holliday and Rasmus have 9.

Now, I will say that you cannot discount the effect of McGwire on Rasmus. Rasmus has really taken to McGwire both as a teacher and person. If you catch a Cardinals game, Rasmus is constantly chattering with McGwire and you often see them working on hitting.

Rasmus is clearly driving the ball better than he has in the past as well, but the kid led the Texas League in extra base hits as an underaged player 3 years ago. It's not as though he wasn't going to hit for power some day.

People also remember the club that ended last season and fail to realize that the team that started the year last year had some real pieces of crap on it. Khalil Greene, Joe Thurston, Chris Duncan and Rick Ankiel were all starting for the Cardinals to begin the year. That's some serious trash right there.

It's hard to say how much of it is a product of McGwire and how much of it is a product of simply having better players on your roster. Ultimately I think it will even out. The Cardinals aren't hitting towering blasts right now, they're hitting line drives that seem to go screaming over the wall (Matt Holliday hit a homer of Rodrigo Lopez that cleared the fence by about 5 feet but had just started to descend when it got there, it was an absolute bullet).
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:28 am

Cards07Champs wrote:The Cardinals aren't hitting towering blasts right now, they're hitting line drives that seem to go screaming over the wall (Matt Holliday hit a homer of Rodrigo Lopez that cleared the fence by about 5 feet but had just started to descend when it got there, it was an absolute bullet).

What? That's how all of Holliday's HRs are hit.

Rasmus' and Schumaker's HRs last night were all "towering", and Ludwick's HRs off of Haren weren't line drives like Holliday's type.
Want an easy icon?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cards07Champs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Cards07Champs wrote:The Cardinals aren't hitting towering blasts right now, they're hitting line drives that seem to go screaming over the wall (Matt Holliday hit a homer of Rodrigo Lopez that cleared the fence by about 5 feet but had just started to descend when it got there, it was an absolute bullet).

What? That's how all of Holliday's HRs are hit.

Rasmus' and Schumaker's HRs last night were all "towering", and Ludwick's HRs off of Haren weren't line drives like Holliday's type.

Schumaker's was a pop-fly that carried due to Arizona.

Rasmus's balls were just well struck liners. They weren't balls that he put a ton of backspin on and got to carry out. Those were balls that got knocked out as a product of bat-speed and solid contact rather than the Dunn-style HRs with ridiculous backspin that take high arcs out of the park.

If Rasmus hadn't hit those balls that hard, they'd have ended up as doubles because they were struck so hard. The moonshot HRs are just pop outs if they don't make it out of the yard. That's the distinction I see here. The Cardinals HRs are primarily doubles that make it out of the park. I'm not going to get too worried about being HR dependant at this point when the HRs are really just a product of them hitting the ball damn hard rather than hitting these fly-balls that clear the wall.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:52 am

I'll just go ahead and disagree with you about Schumaker/Rasmus (particularly after rewatching them), and then I'll ask myself why I got sucked into a debate predicated on the notion that the a home run must reached a certain height on its way out of the park or it's really just a double that got lucky even though the sample population includes Holliday & Pujols.

%-6
Want an easy icon?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 am

StlSluggers wrote:I'll just go ahead and disagree with you about Schumaker/Rasmus (particularly after rewatching them), and then I'll ask myself why I got sucked into a debate predicated on the notion that the a home run must reached a certain height on its way out of the park or it's really just a double that got lucky even though the sample population includes Holliday & Pujols.

%-6

You would know better then anyone that a dong is a dong :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Cards07Champs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I'll just go ahead and disagree with you about Schumaker/Rasmus (particularly after rewatching them), and then I'll ask myself why I got sucked into a debate predicated on the notion that the a home run must reached a certain height on its way out of the park or it's really just a double that got lucky even though the sample population includes Holliday & Pujols.

%-6

You seem to be missing the point.

If Dunn's stroke gets off, he just pops out a lot (or more accurately, Ks).

If Pujols or Holliday's stroke gets off, they'll still hit their share of line-drives.

The type of HRs being hit are absolutely relevant when you're discussing the long-term impact on the Cardinals offense. There is a group of people that are concerned that the Cardinals are going to be like the Cubs of 2005(ish) when they either hit 3 HRs in a game or they lost. That's a terrible recipe for playoff success (or success against a team with a staff like, say, Philly or SF).

I don't see that being a problem because the Cardinals are not a team full of sluggers. They're a team full of line-drive hitters that just happen to be smoking the ball right now.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Seriously? So with Big Mac as the hitting coach, players are now swinging more for the fences and deciding not to just try put the ball in play - especially with 2 strikes? :*)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Maybe they should make Pujols hitting coach so everyone hits 40 HR with a .330 AVG.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers