Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to get rid of Ozzie Guillen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to get rid of Ozzie Guillen

Postby Maris09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:52 pm

That team simply won't play for him. It looked that way last year and it's lookin that way again.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Time to get rid of Ozzie Guillen

Postby MTUCache » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 am

Hmm..... no. Not agreeing here.

I'm not an Ozzie supporter by any means, and obviously not a White Sox fan, but I really don't see how you can draw that conclusion out of the results of the season thus far (or last season, for that matter). I'm going to have to hear at least some evidence as to why you think this way.

Any failings of the White Sox in the last couple of years have to fall directly on Kenny Williams, in my opinion. Losing leaders like Dye and Thome (yes, aging stars do need to move on) is fine, but replacing them with these gigantic question-mark guys (Quentin, Rios, Jones, etc) is the problem to me. If you're looking for a reason as to why this team doesn't seem to have any heart, or why they don't seem to respond well, I think it's because their only on-field "leader" left is Konerko. Beckham may be on his way there, but he's got several years before he's going to be that commanding presence.

Ozzie has to play the cards he's got here. A dominant rotation is really the only thing he has going for him right now. His bullpen is obviously in a transition, with Jenks and Putz both just hanging around until Thornton has an excuse to take the reins. The lineup got a lot more anemic when they decided to focus on speed instead of power, and if they're not getting on base there's not a whole lot of managerial decisions that's going to fix that. He can't call for a steal or a hit-and-run if there's nobody on base.

If there's anything positive going for Ozzie it would be his passion, his honesty with the media, and his ability to inspire. He hasn't had a chance to do much else at this point.

Edit: *1000th post... can't believe I wasted it on Ozzie Guillen. :*)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -21)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 am

Maris09 wrote:That team simply won't play for him. It looked that way last year and it's lookin that way again.

A player plays for himself, for the team, and to win.
Not for the coach.

But it is time to get rid of him.
Actually, as a coach myself, I was wondering for a long time, how did he get that job in the first place.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 am

So is Danks still playing for his manager and Peavy not?

I've always thrown these types of arguments into the "yeah but he calls a good game" catcher garbage. No offense. I'm sure you will probably link to a biased Sun-Times article or something to make your point, but the fact is that Peavy/Floyd has sucked horribly and the offense is slumping outside of Konerko, Jones and Rios.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby B-Chad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:10 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:So is Danks still playing for his manager and Peavy not?

I've always thrown these types of arguments into the "yeah but he calls a good game" catcher garbage. No offense. I'm sure you will probably link to a biased Sun-Times article or something to make your point, but the fact is that Peavy/Floyd has sucked horribly and the offense is slumping outside of Konerko, Jones and Rios.

This +1. Lets also toss out Quentin's BABIP that must be garbage. He's actually walking more this year, making contact, and STILL not getting on base (believe me, I'm a Quentin owner in multiple leagues, I know). Ozzie is juggling the lineup and trying things. Is it Ozzie's fault that Peavy can't find the strike zone, or that when he can he's doing it as a soft tossing righty?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:51 pm

He's been watching soap operas.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -108)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MTUCache » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:14 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:He's been watching soap operas.

Actually, according to his "hilarious" tweets lately regarding Comcast, that may not be far from the truth.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -21)

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Blame Juan Pierre (.232 avg, .284 OBP out of the lead-off spot). Blame Carlos Quentin (.161 average, r u serial?!?) Blame Gordon Beckham, blame A.J. Pierzynski, blame Alexei Ramirez... I don't know how you can blame Ozzie. He can't control how awful that CWS core is right now.
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby Ek » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm with the consensus here - first off, it is a really small sample size...every team in baseball is going to go through an 8-11 (or worse) stretch at some point this year, but when it is the first 19 games, and it is a team that was expected to compete for the division, people overreact since there is nothing good to talk about regarding the team. It is similar to people talking about dropping Hunter Pence, Jake Peavy, or Carlos Quentin (just to pick examples from my team) because of their slow starts - sometimes the slow start is an indication of serious problems, but it usually isn't. Ozzie is a manager with a winning record, WS ring, and multiple division titles on his resume in a relatively short period of time. I'm not bailing on him due to a mildly disappointing season + 3 weeks. If the Sox are below .500 at the end of the year and start next season cold, I might be more open to it.

If you want to find a coaching scapegoat on the Sox, I'd look at the hitting coach since so many guys are not getting on base, but honestly, for now I'd just chill.
Ek
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers