Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Etiquette: gentleman's understanding or nonsense?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Etiquette: gentleman's understanding or nonsense?

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:25 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
The thing is, you have no idea if Jack Wilson has a history of any kind because he's Jack Wilson. That's part of the point I think some are trying to convey.

Yeah, ESPN would never report on Jack Wilson inciting brawls or causing a pitcher to have a temper tantrum on the field...it's only news when ARod does those things.

You think a no-name player from Seattle who steps on the mound would be on the front page of Yahoo!? Or you think Baseball Tonight would have called Braden last night to discuss what happened if it was Jack Wilson?

No, but I don't think that's the issue here. ARod can prevent these stories being written about him like any other big-name player in baseball by actually not doing these stupid, bush league things every season. If somebody like Jack Wilson went around provoking other players every year by breaking baseball taboos, I have no doubt that it would still be reported.

I'm not even debating A-Rod's history as far as the other stuff is concerned, but things like this become totally embellished because of the past incidents. The only other player I can see that would do this and cause a stink would be Bradley.

I'm trying to understand why you think ARod should get a relative pass on this BECAUSE of his past incidents where he pissed off his peers. Shouldn't that be a knock against him? Why should the fact that he has a past history of angering other players be ignored? X-I
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Merrick65 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:32 pm

great gretzky wrote:To me, this is the equivalent to the guy who takes the stall next to you while you are "taking care of business" when the other ones are open. Enough to annoy you, and enough to give the guy a dirty look if you see them again or whatever, but not enough to make a federal case of it.

Anybody that ever pitched an even a semi-high level would probably say this is more like the guy trying to piss in the same urinal. You just don't do it.

That said, Braden made an ass of himself. I would have said something coming off the field but that would have been it. No post-game remarks. Then ran one high in tight next time you see him. Then it's done.
Merrick65
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:34 pm

ARod's reaction to Dallas pretty much sums this whole non-issue.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:And my point is that this story should be a non-story and that his stature (negative or positive) is the absolute only reason it is. And it semi annoys me, yes.

Since when is a player having a temper tantrum on the field a non-story, no matter who it involves?

They aren't reporting on this because it's ARod. They are reporting on this because it's ARod and he's pissing his peers off. Repeatedly.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby fezzik » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm

I don't like how ESPN keeps playing the quotes out of order...right after the game Braden was actually quite apologetic, saying he got wrapped up in the heat of the moment and that AROD is one of the greatest players ever. Then he hears AROD make the remarks about being surprised Braden was yelling at him since Braden has barely won any games. Then Braden comes back and says while AROD is still a phenomenal talent, it's basically too bad he lacks repect for the game and that he'll plunk him if he does it again. It's only a story because the media played these guys off each other and got some caustic quotes. Braden's actually had me laughing a bit, while AROD came off as more of a slimeball...but I see perceptions vary from reading these comments. I was watching PTI and they played Braden's rant out of context, making him look more douchey than his statements actually were. I don't like that sort of manipulation.

This particular unwritten rule seems unnecessary, but it is what it is. Would AROD have run across RJ's mound if they were competing? I don't subscribe to the theory that Braden should be treated differently because he isn't a veteran player. Within the context of everything that happened, I think that AROD is being disingenuous and Braden shouldn't have exploded while on the field (which he apologized for initially, but got annoyed with AROD's postgame comments)...but I was marginally entertained, so I don't mind.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 pm

mweir145 wrote:I'm trying to understand why you think ARod should get a relative pass on this BECAUSE of his past incidents where he pissed off his peers. Shouldn't that be a knock against him? Why should the fact that he has a past history of angering other players be ignored? X-I

How many "bush league" incidents can you name in his 17 year career.... prolly couldn't count it on one hand, but you are ready to deem his the most bush league player in baseball. absurd.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:41 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:ARod's reaction to Dallas pretty much sums this whole non-issue.

You know...if ARod actually owned up to all of this stuff instead of feigning like he didn't know what was going on (with both the "mine" and mound issues), he wouldn't come off like such a douche. I can tell you that his teammates don't like having to deal with this nonsense.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:43 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I'm trying to understand why you think ARod should get a relative pass on this BECAUSE of his past incidents where he pissed off his peers. Shouldn't that be a knock against him? Why should the fact that he has a past history of angering other players be ignored? X-I

How many "bush league" incidents can you name in his 17 year career.... prolly couldn't count it on one hand, but you are ready to deem his the most bush league player in baseball. absurd.

So we should ignore his past history of angering other baseball players because it doesn't count up to 5? :-b

But yeah, I guess all those players were out to get ARod too...just like the media.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:47 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:ARod's moved on from slapping baseballs out of gloves and yelling "mine" at 3B during popups, I see.

Definitely the most bush league player in the game today.

;-D

My oh my!! Slapping balls out of gloves! How bush!
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:48 pm

fezzik wrote:This particular unwritten rule seems unnecessary, but it is what it is. Would AROD have run across RJ's mound if they were competing? I don't subscribe to the theory that Braden should be treated differently because he isn't a veteran player. Within the context of everything that happened, I think that AROD is being disingenuous and Braden shouldn't have exploded while on the field (which he apologized for initially, but got annoyed with AROD's postgame comments)...but I was marginally entertained, so I don't mind.

Would ARod have yelled at Troy Glaus instead of Howie Clark, or slapped the ball out of the hand of Curt Schilling? Maybe, but somehow I doubt it.

He seemingly has an odd issue with treading on lesser players.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers