Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Etiquette: gentleman's understanding or nonsense?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball Etiquette: gentleman's understanding or nonsense?

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:36 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:Wow now we have went from the pissing match between Alex and Dallas to mweir and DaSh. Point blank suck up this whole 'etiquette' BS and move on.

Violating unwritten rules aren't a non-issue to baseball players, though. That's been made clear numerous times.

Well then baseball 'big leaguers' need to suck it up then. You never heard this stuff back in the 60s 70s 80s and even 90s. Its just the 'new school'. Honestly yall are going to get this bent out of shape over unwritten rules?
Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 pm

There are only a handful of players better than him to ever play the game, and that is really all that matters to me regarding A-Rod.

I agree. It's not like most Yankees fans actually like the guy's personality, anyway. He's paid to hit the baseball and he does that incredibly well, whether he's pissing off his peers every season or not.

Well then baseball 'big leaguers' need to suck it up then. You never heard this stuff back in the 60s 70s 80s and even 90s. Its just the 'new school'. Honestly yall are going to get this bent out of shape over unwritten rules?

I wasn't watching baseball in the 60s, 70s, and 80s so I couldn't tell you whether this stuff came up or not. What I can tell you is that ARod seems to be one of a kind.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:46 pm

the fact is, it's not a ratio. i can't be like "oh I have only had three incidents over the past 17 years where it was sketchy whether she wanted it."

I KNOW that example isn't the same, and we are talking about etiquette. But the point is, when you have a faux pas, most will let one go. Arod has more than one, so the ratio is irrelevant. It's akin to being like, I was polite for 30 of my 33 years. Yea, but you were still a dick for those three.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm

mweir145 wrote:I wasn't watching baseball in the 60s, 70s, and 80s so I couldn't tell you whether this stuff came up or not. What I can tell you is that ARod seems to be one of a kind.

Neither was I. But what I don't see, that we also won't see on Arod's history page 10 years after hes out of the game, is 'Jackie Robinson yelled 'mine' as he took off to first' or 'Lou Gehrig ran across the mound returning to 1st base after that foul ball.' But does that say these things never happened? I just really think that in the overall scheme of things the media has a chub for him because hes a douche at times, but they also do because at times he shows the flashes that make him one of the most dominant bats in our era.
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:52 pm

great gretzky wrote:the fact is, it's not a ratio. i can't be like "oh I have only had three incidents over the past 17 years where it was sketchy whether she wanted it."

I KNOW that example isn't the same, and we are talking about etiquette. But the point is, when you have a faux pas, most will let one go. Arod has more than one, so the ratio is irrelevant. It's akin to being like, I was polite for 30 of my 33 years. Yea, but you were still a dick for those three.

Relivence to the situation at hand? Missing. Petty at best.
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:32 am

Re the '60s, I would bet any amount of money that ARod would not have gone anywhere NEAR Bob Gibson's mound? :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby dannahann » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:03 am

I can remeber watching baseball from the mid-60s on an no way a guy would pull that crap back then. But then I seriously doubt anyone but that douchebag has ever done it, in the 60s 70s 80s 90s or in this century. Every pitcher in baseball now or then would be seriously pissed if an opposing hitter ever pulled that bush league crap and that includes every Yankee pitcher too. Yankee homers are trying to pin this on Braden somehow, fgigures :-t Being vets they ;olely would've handled it better after the game, ie not publically stating they'd retaliate and thus limiting their ability to do so as effectively but any pitcher would've been majorly pissed and deservedly so. I hope every 220 hitting scrub backup C makes it a point to walk through his batters box a couple times in every ARod AB for the rest of his career. He's earned that level of disrerespect like no one in basenall ever has. Used to be my favorite players and you can look up my posts as to how staunchly I had his back when he was moved to 3B despite being a superior SS to Jeter if you need proof. I respect him zero now due to his lack of proffessional respect to his peers and game and his lame ass lies about PED usage.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers