Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jermaine Dye

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jermaine Dye

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:39 pm

thejusman1 wrote:I don't think he really cares. He already has tons of money, and he thinks if he isn't getting paid what he thinks he should be getting, he won't play.

I'm not sure if Dye thinks this but someone (I'm pretty sure it was Orlando Hudson) threw out the race card and said that he wasn't signed because he was black. This was after the fact that he had turned down an MLB contract for something like $3M.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 pm

thejusman1 wrote:I don't think he really cares. He already has tons of money, and he thinks if he isn't getting paid what he thinks he should be getting, he won't play.

From what I've read, that's what I'm thinking. He doesn't seem to have any strong desire to play, but he will if he gets a good deal or it's an organization he likes. Apparently he likes the Mariners:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... orld-peace
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:19 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Guillen is as close to done as you can be. The guy just can't stay healthy. Dye would find full time ABs in Detroit for sure.

The Tigers have a young DH/OF coming through named Ryan Strieby, so they probably have little motivation to pay someone to do it.

Dye just picked the wrong season to have unreasonable expectations. Young guys who can field are in fashion in a big way.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:36 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Guillen is as close to done as you can be. The guy just can't stay healthy. Dye would find full time ABs in Detroit for sure.

The Tigers have a young DH/OF coming through named Ryan Strieby, so they probably have little motivation to pay someone to do it.

Dye just picked the wrong season to have unreasonable expectations. Young guys who can field are in fashion in a big way.

:-b ...I obviously know who Strieby is.....he's just not ready for the majors yet.

I think for most teams young guys are in, but Dombrowski seems to have a thing for aging veterans (Sheffield, Guillen, Damon, etc.). I think we were semi-linked to Dye during the offseason and I just think he'd be a great fit into that DH/LF rotation with Damon.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:10 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:

I think for most teams young guys are in, but Dombrowski seems to have a thing for aging veterans (Sheffield, Guillen, Damon, etc.). I think we were semi-linked to Dye during the offseason and I just think he'd be a great fit into that DH/LF rotation with Damon.

But how many old, defensive butchers can you have on one team?
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:20 am

jackie hayes wrote:

From what I've read, that's what I'm thinking. He doesn't seem to have any strong desire to play, but he will if he gets a good deal or it's an organization he likes. Apparently he likes the Mariners:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... orld-peace

With the Mariners' emphasis on defense, I'd be beyond shocked if Dye signed there.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:34 am

kab21 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

But how many old, defensive butchers can you have on one team?

I know I've gotten past the point of thinking they themselves really care. :-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby jswede » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:11 pm

hard for me to believe he could be this stupid, but perhaps I overestimate him... he has 1-3 more years of major earning power left IN HIS LIFE. He could earn in one more year (at, say, $3mil) more than he'll earn in the entire rest of his life after baseball. if he does not sign somewhere, he'll regret leaving that amount of cash on the table for the rest of his life.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 pm

jswede wrote:

hard for me to believe he could be this stupid, but perhaps I overestimate him... he has 1-3 more years of major earning power left IN HIS LIFE. He could earn in one more year (at, say, $3mil) more than he'll earn in the entire rest of his life after baseball. if he does not sign somewhere, he'll regret leaving that amount of cash on the table for the rest of his life.

just epic lulz.

If I earned 70+ million over a 14 year career, I'd be pretty content on saying no to 3 million for a year.

70 million and retiring at the age of 35 ;-D F no to playing on the Nats for 3 mill.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby jswede » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:14 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
jswede wrote:

just epic lulz.

If I earned 70+ million over a 14 year career, I'd be pretty content on saying no to 3 million for a year.

70 million and retiring at the age of 35 ;-D F no to playing on the Nats for 3 mill.

really? 'epic'? easy to entertain you. when you grow up, you'll realize that adults spend money. and maybe someone will tell you about spending habits like Dye's. he's sitting on a small fraction of that $70mil.

his family's lifestyle likely costs $1-2mil/yr, he's lost ridiculous money in houses (plural; seen the $20mil AZ house?) and I would guess (like everyone else) in investments. (Money put in hi-end AZ real estate in 2006 is down 60+%, the Dow is still down 30% from the 2007 hi). if he's like 80% of other athletes, he's made bad deals with friends asking for start-up, etc, money that he'll never see again. I'm speculating a little, but I doubt I'm off by much -- he likely has $20-30mil in the bank.

Point is, $3mil, or more like $3-4mil each of next 2-3yrs, is a lot of money relative to what he has, and it's a one-and-last earning opportunity of a huge amount vs what he'll be able to make going fwd; which is essentially nothing. All this especially in light of recent losses in real estate and equities etc. (again, have someone explain that part to you)

feel free to disagree, but spare me anything 'epic'. child.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers