Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brennan Boesch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brennan Boesch

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:43 pm

2010 MLB: 71AB .380/.392/.676 3HR 19RBI 7R 2BB 12K

He has also his 8 doubles and 2 triples. His BABIP is an unsustainable .421, but no one expects him to hit .380 over the long run. In AA last year he hit 28HR in 527AB with 127K and 33BB for a triple slash of .275/.318/.510. He also stole 11 bases.

The kid is 6'6" 210lbs, lefty drafted in the 3rd round.

His average will drop, but the power is likely for real. The Ks will likely increase as the scouting film increases and pitchers exploit the holes in his swing, but he has kept them down so far. Guillen was supposed to force him Boesch back to the minors, but it looks like they are going play him at 2B instead.

While he typically sits against lefties, he did hit a HR off Sabathia which may earn him a few ABs. It is possible, even likely, that he will be back on the WW in the next few weeks, but there is a small chance he could put up a decent average and solid power numbers to be worth a spot on your bench.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3932
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 3 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby Tony Micelli » Mon May 17, 2010 3:35 pm

I agree with your analysis. The average won't be sustainable, but the power could definitely be for real. The guy is 6'6 and hit for some good power numbers in the minors. And it looks like Leyland has a lot of confidence in him. Hitting primarily 5th in the Tigers lineup is pretty sweet. He's responded well by driving in a lot of runs. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 341
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:10 pm

As a Tigers fan I am definitely tempering my expectations. He's been great so far but he swings at everything. Much like Jackson he will hit the wall sooner than later.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7732
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:23 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:As a Tigers fan I am definitely tempering my expectations. He's been great so far but he swings at everything. Much like Jackson he will hit the wall sooner than later.


I agree he is aggressive to the point where his o-swing% is 50.4, which is much higher than Vlad's 38.7%, a notorious free swinger. The league average is somewhere around 25%.

Would seeing something like .260 with 20HR and a boatload of RBIs be out of reach? That may or may not be bench worthy, but you have to ride out the hot streak, and who knows a guy like Pablo Sandoval has an o-swing% of 43.4% and has a career average of .324. I am not saying that he will even come close to having Panda's value or ability, but there may be some value here.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3932
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 3 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:19 pm

I saw him play over the weekend and next to MCab of course, he was the most impressive Tigers player that day. The ball sounds great off his bat and he moves pretty well for a big guy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8457
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby tomkatt » Mon May 17, 2010 7:41 pm

The Tigers are supposedly moving Carlos Guillen to second in order to keep Boesch's bat in the lineup, so he'll be given an opportunity for sure. ;-D
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1392
(Past Year: -6)
Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:32 am

oddmanout7 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:As a Tigers fan I am definitely tempering my expectations. He's been great so far but he swings at everything. Much like Jackson he will hit the wall sooner than later.


I agree he is aggressive to the point where his o-swing% is 50.4, which is much higher than Vlad's 38.7%, a notorious free swinger. The league average is somewhere around 25%.

Would seeing something like .260 with 20HR and a boatload of RBIs be out of reach? That may or may not be bench worthy, but you have to ride out the hot streak, and who knows a guy like Pablo Sandoval has an o-swing% of 43.4% and has a career average of .324. I am not saying that he will even come close to having Panda's value or ability, but there may be some value here.


I dunno.....the one major thing he has going for him is that he's hitting behind Cabrera who has been the best hitter in baseball all year, so you can't totally write him off. I just think he's really going to struggle to adjust once pitchers figure him out because he swings at everything and didn't maintain a great contact rate in the minors. Obviously I hope he does but I try to take off my blinders when evaluating a player I cheer for.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7732
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:07 pm

I just watched this guy hit a double off the CF wall to the 420' mark that would have been a HR in virtually any other park. Mind you, he also hit it with one hand. Edit: He also just rifled a ball to RF for a single on the first pitch. Edit Again: And just stole a base on a HUGE jump.

Also being a Tiger fan, I have been equally as reserved about Boesch, waiting for the bottom to fall out from the very beginning. But honestly, I have yet to see an AB that didn't impress me. He does swing at everything, but he has such a long reach and quick bat speed that he easily can get to any pitch thrown anywhere. I tell you, I'm really coming around about this guy.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3846
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Michigan

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby gnarboots11 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Well if this continues im going to have to drop Chris Young(OF) for him. I mean he's stealing baggies now.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 337
Joined: 2 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brennan Boesch

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:I just watched this guy hit a double off the CF wall to the 420' mark that would have been a HR in virtually any other park. Mind you, he also hit it with one hand. Edit: He also just rifled a ball to RF for a single on the first pitch. Edit Again: And just stole a base on a HUGE jump.

Also being a Tiger fan, I have been equally as reserved about Boesch, waiting for the bottom to fall out from the very beginning. But honestly, I have yet to see an AB that didn't impress me. He does swing at everything, but he has such a long reach and quick bat speed that he easily can get to any pitch thrown anywhere. I tell you, I'm really coming around about this guy.


I hope you're right man, we've needed a power hitting lefty for some time now. ;-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7732
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

cron