Return to Baseball Leftovers

Neil Walker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Neil Walker

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:17 pm

There has not been much discussion on this kid. He was a former consensus top 50 prospect and former 1st rnd draft pick, who has had his potential star label tarnished, but this year has been much better.

2010 AAA 168AB .321/.392/.564 6HR 10SB 19BB 31K

He started his career behind the plate, moved to 3B, and now will be taking over 2B. Is still just 24 years of age, and for those looking to catch lightening in the bottle, he could have the kind of impact Gordan Beckham did last season. Right now though, probably only worth a look in deeper keeper leagues and NL only leagues.

Pirates manager John Russell said Monday that Neil Walker will get the "majority" of starts at second base moving forward.
Akinori Iwamura hasn't been cutting it at second base with a .173/.274/.250 batting line. Walker, meanwhile, has been on fire since joining up with the Pirates from Triple-A Indianapolis last week. He's a guy worth grabbing in NL-only leagues and some deeper mixed formats.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Neil Walker

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:43 pm

I think most of his top prospect status was becuase he was supposed to be a catcher.

He was having a nice year at AAA.

And isn't exactly "on fire" like rotoworld says. He's batting .292/.320 with 0 hrs 0 sbs.

It is nice to see them give him a shot though.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:49 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:I think most of his top prospect status was becuase he was supposed to be a catcher.

He was having a nice year at AAA.

And isn't exactly "on fire" like rotoworld says. He's batting .292/.320 with 0 hrs 0 sbs.

It is nice to see them give him a shot though.

Well prior to this season, he was hitting .270/.317/.433 in 2433 minor league ABs. His HR rate has also been better this season with a HR every 28AB, compared to a HR every 37AB over his career. His K rate and BB rate are in line with his career rates, so his power and his improved average may just be the result of a small sample size, but he is worth a look. As a catcher he would have more value, but as a 2B, his value isn't too shabby either.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mak1277 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:45 pm

I added him in my NL-only league, but I think he's a wait-and-see guy in a normal mixed league. I think he has a chance to put up some decent numbers, but he's not going to hit a ton of HRs and his counting stats will be depressed by the crappy line-up overall. If you're in an OBP league, he is less appealing as his minor league OBP numbers have been average at best until this year. He has the added drawback of potentially being the odd man out when Pedro Alvarez gets called up (there's been talk of Andy LaRoche moving to 2b), although Walker could potentially play 1b too if Steve Pearce is still hurt and Clement continues to suck.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby oddmanout7 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:14 pm

He now has 2B eligibility. He has been hitting well as of late (albeit within a small sample size).

In 39ABs .359 /.390 /.590 1HR 1SB 6K 2BB

He wont be able to keep up the pace, but he might be able to hit around .280 and give you double digit steals and HR (as long as he keeps his starting gig).
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:56 pm

I grabbed him to do some back-up work for me at 2B/3B in my 14-team mixed league behind Kinsler & Freese.

Seems like he could generate some very nice depth this year and potentially end up as a keeper at 2B with decent production.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby Danger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:47 pm

So how do you guys feel about him this year? Red hot right now. I picked him up in the very last round of a 10 team standard to back up reynolds :-P What's the consensus? Worth a shot or sell high?

I'm foreseeing Martin Prado numbers.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -45)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Danger wrote:So how do you guys feel about him this year? Red hot right now. I picked him up in the very last round of a 10 team standard to back up reynolds :-P What's the consensus? Worth a shot or sell high?

Keeping, how much can he get in a trade? Besides, 2B/3B eligibility is nice, he can get 15-17 homers.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 am

Sell high is my opinion, though not sure anyone will bother buying high so you might just have to stick it out.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby The Mighty Men » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:51 am

Ender wrote:Sell high is my opinion, though not sure anyone will bother buying high so you might just have to stick it out.

I guess this depends partly on the number of teams in your league. I play in only 15 team leagues, and I made it a point to get walker on as many teams as possible. He hits 2nd or 3rd in the lineup, and those young guys are getting on base. I think he is going to WAY outproduce his draft slot.
The Mighty Men
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers