Return to Baseball Leftovers

is sidney ponson dead?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is sidney ponson dead?

Postby wrigleyivy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:20 pm

why is no one talking about him? he did great last year until SF then went 3-6. but he still a great pitcher right? what is everyones take on him and why is he not talked about as a good pitcher now?
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. Rogers Hornsby
wrigleyivy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dude86 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:24 pm

Most people don't believe he'll do very good going against the AL east lineups so often. However he is still a quality pitcher and I would gladly take him on my team.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:25 pm

Good point, especially with that improved lineup in Baltimore. He's not being talked about, but he's still going at a reasonable place in most drafts I've seen.

I guess he's just a solid 2nd or 3rd-tier pitcher. Everybody's either talking about the huge studs or the sleepers.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby justinA » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:27 pm

to see my thoguhts on him, just know I traded him and his low $6 salary for minor-leaguer Dave Krynzel! haha! I am an Orioles fan, and when I heard he came into camp at 276, 15 lbs heavier, i was scared. Add that to the suspect 2nd half and the AL east lineups, I honestly say beware. I want him to shine again and i want to feel stupid about that trade because im an o's fan like i said, but i just dont see. If you want a pitcher on the O's staff, grab Ainsworth. HEs gunna be a stud at a very cheap price.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:33 pm

I love ponson, he'll have about 17 W's this year with a 3.60 ERA. Hes trying to lose weight, hes the Acve now, he has a MUCH improved offense, hes one year older. I think he'll be quite good.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby MikeeDee » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:35 pm

A nice 3rd/4rd starter in 10-12 team leagues.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -9)

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:37 pm

400 pounds YES!

Dead NO!
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:32 am

justinA wrote:to see my thoguhts on him, just know I traded him and his low $6 salary for minor-leaguer Dave Krynzel! haha! I am an Orioles fan, and when I heard he came into camp at 276, 15 lbs heavier, i was scared. Add that to the suspect 2nd half and the AL east lineups, I honestly say beware.

Suspect 2nd half? He was much better in the second half (3.53 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) than he was in the first half (3.96 ERA, 1.33 WHIP). He just didn't get any wins because SF didn't provide run support. But he's back with Baltimore, so run support shouldn't be as much of a problem as it was in SF, especially with the additions of Tejada and Javy. If you're going to dump him because he gained 15 pounds, that's understandable. But not because you think he had a bad second half.

I've had a few drafts come down to a decision of Clemens or Ponson, and I originally planned on Ponson, but chose Clemens instead. But Ponson could have a very good year if he gets in shape, since he might be more optimistic about the team now that they've made a few big FA signings. Motivation seems to be a problem for him, IMO. I've always heard about the talent being there, but he doesn't put in enough effort.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby mightyian5 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:26 am

ive never really trusted him, no matter what the stats say. its in a way like loaiza. and all of us here know what the opinion on him is after his first good season. im not expecting good things from ponson.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers