Return to Baseball Leftovers

A.J. Mass amazes once again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A.J. Mass amazes once again

Postby West » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:07 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
West wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Yes, you still read it. He wins.

True :-b

However, I almost always ignore his columns and only read this one because I had a feeling it would be terrible. I fail to see how he is still employed.

Because he writes in such a way that he gets people talking (I'm assuming). I don't know that I've ever read one of his columns. I go straight to places I know are directed towards me and my type of play when I'm looking to read. Maybe it's just cause my time is scarce anymore, I dunno. Several years ago I would read Eric Karabell and found him to be hit or miss. All they're looking for is to get people forming opinions, though, and to appeal to the most people, which is rarely the ilk that frequent the Cafe. Read the articles that go up here, or FanGraphs, or wherever; you'll save yourself the headache. ;-D

Have to agree with you here. At ESPN, I like Karabell and Jason Grey, and Keith Law seems to have a good handle on the prospects. But like you said, here, fangraphs, The Baseball Analysts, etc...Those are the places I tend to frequent.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Every Aj Mass article deserves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:31 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:Every Aj Mass article deserves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU

Nice, that was so appropriate. :-D
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 pm

OK, he may have made the point in a really idiotic way, but he's not wrong. He's telling people not to make knee-jerk decisions after 10 games. Given that the average AJ Mass reader probably won't understand BABIP, variance, sample size reliability, etc if you littered the article with them, this article is quite good for its market. The way you guys were talking about it, it sounded like he'd be saying "sell Crawford now, he's done" or something.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:OK, he may have made the point in a really idiotic way, but he's not wrong. He's telling people not to make knee-jerk decisions after 10 games. Given that the average AJ Mass reader probably won't understand BABIP, variance, sample size reliability, etc if you littered the article with them, this article is quite good for its market. The way you guys were talking about it, it sounded like he'd be saying "sell Crawford now, he's done" or something.

Yup, there are far, far more people who play fantasy sports casually than those like us here. I did a number of ESPN mock drafts before the season started and in each one I asked if anyone posted over at the Fantasy Baseball Cafe to see if I knew anyone or whatever....100% of the people in every mock draft over there had NO have clue what the Cafe even was...I was actually a little surprised by that.

So yeah, Torpedo hit it right on the head...whether Mass can or can't explain things in the detail we would typically expect from an "expert"...he doesn't have to. The people he's reaching for is actually the majority...the majority that would go glassy eyed if they had to read about FIP, BABIP, ISO, HR/FB, etc
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh, it's not just that he looks at things in a simple way. It's that he looks at things in a retarded way. For instance, his choice of Derek Jeter over Ryan Howard in the pre-season. If all he did was post fluffy articles about not panicking after the first couple weeks then I doubt there'd be a thread devoted to his absurdity.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Oh, it's not just that he looks at things in a simple way. It's that he looks at things in a retarded way. For instance, his choice of Derek Jeter over Ryan Howard in the pre-season. If all he did was post fluffy articles about not panicking after the first couple weeks then I doubt there'd be a thread devoted to his absurdity.

Yeah, I don't really know...I haven't read a thing he's written, I was just saying in general. The reason why the thread was made was because people like to hate on others...there are hundreds of fantasy writers...no reason to devote a thread to one of them just bashing away...go read someone else. If you really wanted to hit him where it hurts, don't create a thread on him, just don't acknowledge that he even writes anything...like they say, bad publicity = good publicity.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Oh, it's not just that he looks at things in a simple way. It's that he looks at things in a retarded way. For instance, his choice of Derek Jeter over Ryan Howard in the pre-season. If all he did was post fluffy articles about not panicking after the first couple weeks then I doubt there'd be a thread devoted to his absurdity.

Yeah he definitely sucks overall, I'm just not sure why people are using this article as an example. This time it's sort of an end-justifies-the-means thing.
Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -52)

Previous