Return to Baseball Leftovers

Third Base Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Third Base Question

Postby metsfan05 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:56 pm

Third base is my weak position. I have Morgan Ensberg, Joe Crede, and Adrian Beltre. In my opinion, any one of these guys could end up being great or horrible. I hear Nen has been feeling discomfort and it looks like Matt Herges will be closing in San Francisco. In order to pick up Herges, I have to drop a third baseman. I was thinking I should dump Ensberg, but he was the only guy I drafted of the bunch. We have 1700 max innings, so I do need some more pitching. Who should I drop?

Here is my lineup: (9 team league)

C: Lieberthal Starters: Pedro, Wood, Oswalt, Wolf,
1B: Helton Santana, Webb, Tim Redding
2B: Giles Closers: Benitez, Izzy, Arthur Rhodes,
3B: Take your pick Kolb, Riske
SS: Kaz Matsui
IF: Sexson
OF: Magglio Ordonez
OF: Berkman
OF: Shawn Green
UTIL: Vidro
UTIL: Klesko
Bench: Jose Reyes, Cliff Floyd, 2 3rd basemen
UTIL: Milton Bradley
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodpaul » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:59 pm

NO way do you drop Ensberg. Of those three you drop Beltre. Ensberg is the 9th rated third baseman on my cheet sheet.
Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -177)

Postby metsfan05 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:00 pm

That got a little screwed up

Starters: Pedro, Wood, Oswalt, Wolf, Santana, Webb, Redding
Closers: Benitez, Izzy, Rhodes, Kolb, Riske
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby metsfan05 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:01 pm

Thanks
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby warrick95 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:03 pm

I would drop Crede for Herges. Beltre is still only 25 and may (wishful thinking) still be poised for a breakout. Ensberg was hitting great in limited ABs last year. I've got him as my 3B in both leagues. People seem to love/hate him. I see him rated as high as top 5 on some cheat sheets.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby metsfan05 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:11 pm

Right after dropping Beltre, I just watched (live) Dave Weathers make Ensberg look silly. He didn't look very aware or comfortable up there. When I took him in my draft, I didn't realize he was so old. I thought he was like 24. He's 29. I may be picking Beltre back up. I keep hearing that Ensberg will bat 7th. Beltre is going to bat 3rd this year, I just read. I don't know. I think this is a toss-up question. Any one of these guys could outperform the other two.
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Melo255 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:30 pm

You don't need SP at all. You have a ridiculous rotation. Pedro, Wood, Santana and Oswalt are studs Wolf is solid and Webb could be awesome and Reddings soso but for your 7th starter is fine.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby mattusd » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:19 pm

i'll say this slowly: DO NOT DROP ENSBERG... he's by far the best of that 3b group you listed. he hits in a ridiculous park, and he's always had bigtime power numbers in the minors and college. he's legit, trust me... he'll hit 30 bombs, no problem.

as for the rest of the guys: i would dump Crede... i've never been a big joe crede fan... when i watch him play, i honestly don't know what everyone gets excited about... yeah, he could go 25-80... but is that really all that great? a lot of third basemen have that potential... his obp is horrific and he'll kill your batting average... stay away from him.

as for beltre, i would keep him over crede... true, crede had the better avg and obp, but Beltre is batting in the 3 hole this year w/ Shawn Green protecting him... he's always been a great fastball hitter, so i expect a slight bump in his power numbers (2b's and hr's)... a lot of people hype up beltre every year, but people seem to be giving up on him now... i think finally this is it... moving into that spot in the lineup will help him... i look for .270, 28, 80, and maybe he'll start running a little again.

dump crede... he's horrible. start ensberg... he's your guy.
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:25 pm

If I needed to dump someone off that team, Tim Redding would be the first to go.

I would try and be as patient as you can right now and actually keep all of the 3b you have.

Ensberg IS NOT a sure thing right now as many would have you believe. Now there is talk of him platooning with Mike Lamb - who they just traded for.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers