Return to Baseball Leftovers

RE: Brian Giles' new park.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RE: Brian Giles' new park.

Postby Spokes » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:46 pm

I heard last night that it is 409 to right center in Petco! How mcuh do you think this will effect Brian's power numbers? Am I freaking out over what is ultimately a small issue or do I have a real reason to worry?
Thanks!
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:53 pm

Yeah, I heard watching a Spring Training game against the Cubs that they expect the park to be more pitcher friendly than hitter friendly. I see Giles hitting 30 HRs anyway, he's a guy that uses the whole field, so just worrying about the left handed hitter power alleys probably isn't seeing the whole picture. I think the lineup protection is the big factor. If Klesko and Nevin produce, Giles will put up good numbers. If either or both slump, it will be harder.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby Dude86 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:55 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Yeah, I heard watching a Spring Training game against the Cubs that they expect the park to be more pitcher friendly than hitter friendly. I see Giles hitting 30 HRs anyway, he's a guy that uses the whole field, so just worrying about the left handed hitter power alleys probably isn't seeing the whole picture. I think the lineup protection is the big factor. If Klesko and Nevin produce, Giles will put up good numbers. If either or both slump, it will be harder.

If Klesko and Nevin produce than Giles will have a career year. In Pitt. Giles never had anybody half-decent hitting in front of him and he still managed to hit .300-30-100 consistently. If someone actually does produce in front of him his numbers will be absolutely amazing.
Last edited by Dude86 on Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:27 pm

If Klesko and Giles produce than Giles will have a career. In pitt. Giles never had anybody half-decent hitting in front of him and he still managed to hit .300-30-100 consistently. If someone actually does produce in front of him his numbers will be absolutely amazing.

Amen, I certainly hope so, considering I own him in a couple of leagues. Last year in particular, he had NO lineup protection, I mean, his best protection was Aramis Ramirez, and he really didn't start to hit until very late in his time with the Pirates last year.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Return to Baseball Leftovers