Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help....looking for 5x5 auction draft bargain pitchers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help....looking for 5x5 auction draft bargain pitchers!

Postby Joe Mauer » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:56 am

I'm looking for people's opinions to try to generate a running list here of what pitchers generally will be available for a decent price (or better yet, a bargain price) in a 5x5 Roto auction draft. Could be your undervalued veterans, your light or deep sleepers, your strong second-half finishers or your gut calls. I'm open to all suggestions.

I'm trying to get a running list to go into draft day with (which won't be until April 8th, but the stats will be retroactive from the start of the season). My plan is going to be to go hard at hitting and closers with my big bucks and try to get some undervalued or unproven starters on the cheap.

Can you all help a white brother out? Hook me up with some names and reasons why.

I'll throw out a few to start off with.

C. Zambrano (ChC) -- After the All-Star break he was 7-3, 2.51 ERA and 1.21 WHIP. All improvements on his pre-All-Star break numbers. Drafters may forget about him in the ChC pitching staff. One question, where does he fall in the rotation? With his good amount of K's he could be a good number three man in my 5-man rotation.

M. Hampton (Atl) -- After the All-Star break he was 9-3, 2.91 ERA and 1.25 WHIP. My only concern with him is he doesn't strike out a lot of guys (110 K's in 190 IP). I need 5 SP and can not rotate them (who I draft is who I start, period). So, he could be a #4 or #5 guy in my rotation.

J. Contreras (NYY) -- After the All-Star break he was 4-1, 2.56 ERA and 1.03 WHIP. All improvements on his pre-All Star break numbers. He also averaged over a strikeout an inning in the second half of the spring. Couple this with the fact he is having a very solid spring training (I know, don't put a ton of stock in that either usually) and him having that great NYY offense for great run-support and him being number four in the rotation, I see a great season coming up. I could plug him in as my number one or two starter.

WHO ELSE SHOULD I BE CONSIDERING IN THIS STRATEGY?!?!?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! I WANT A GOOD-SIZED LIST OF NAMES HEADING INTO THE DRAFT WITH.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:11 am

In my auction league,

Contreras went for $16
Zambrano went for $11 (to me :-) )
Hampton went for $1 (I think)

Pitchers who went for $2 - $9:

Lowe $9
Milton $5
J. Williams $3
Weaver $5
Wakefield $2
Peavy $5
Kim $6
D. Wells $2
Leiter $3
Clemens $9
Buehrle $4
Meche $3
Willis $8
Affeldt $6
Penny $5
Myers $6
Pineiro $6
Pettitte $9
Sabathia $9
Clement $9
Ponson $5
Moyer $6
Maddux $9
Harden $8
Escobar $8
Lee $2

As you can see, there are some good bargains there.

With everyone doing that new fancy LIMA thing, I think it's smart to target those middle-tier guys because they can be had for really cheap.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Joe Mauer » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:17 am

thanks for the list of players and values in your league. How many teams in the league? What is the roster size per team? How knowledgeable are the owners?

I'm still VERY interested in others obversations as well! ;-D

Also......what was the salary cap for each team?

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:45 am

12 teams, $260 salary cap, 21 player rosters

1400 innings cap, so I guess pitchers went for a little more than normal
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Joe Mauer » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:19 am

I know :-? .....this is a *shameless BUMP*. But, I was really hoping there was more help out there. This is my first season doing roto O:-) and I need all the help I can get to win my league. :-o So, I'm off to work for the day. :-t :,-( Here's hoping the cafe can help me out on this one. ;-D One person already has, which I am gratefull for, are there more?

Thanks in advance again. ;-D

Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Joe Mauer » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:06 pm

Ok.....this is the last BUMP :-/ .....and then I will go quietly into the night. I had hoped to get a few different people's responses, but as is in real life, you do not often get what you had hoped for.

Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportznow » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:11 pm

Victor Zambrano
Carl Pavano
Brian Anderson
Eric Milton
Jerome Williams
Gil Meche
Brett Myers
C.C. Sabathia
Jamie Moyer
Cliff Lee
sportznow