Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H league, 14 IP min, punt SP categories? (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: H2H league, 14 IP min, punt SP categories? (WHIR)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:46 am

Did someone keep Waino? Maybe you can cash in a couple RPs for him and hope he recovers great from TJ. :-D
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby khabibul35 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:06 am

kab21 wrote:the good news is that you got enough closers so that you can win 3 pitching categories if you bench your starters. The bad news is that you added very little young talent (or talent in general) to your roster. And I don't think you'll do well on the offensive side. You'll win SB's almost every week and probably do well in BA and PA's but I'm not sure you have enough power to compete in HR's, SLG and BB's (although BB's is tough to guess on).

Well, I can send you the complete draft to show you what the alternatives were... Honestly, I feel like I did what I could here and I feel like 1) Pence was a essentially must at round 11, 2) some of these closers can be dealt for young talent if they're somewhere near the top 10 once we're 1/2 way through the season, 3) I feel like you're being too bearish on my staff. They're young for sure, but I'm not so sure that it's a given that Ben Anderson and Gio Gonzalez will be keepers next year and Cueto and Minor will not, and those guys were not worth passing up Pence for, in my opinion.

I think Pence was the guy to get and while I did miss out on Chacin, CJ Wilson, and Vazquez while I was picking Bailey, Perez, and Axford I feel like a) the latter are more of a sure thing (though clearly not 100%) and B) I don't think it's that much more obvious that those 3 will be better than Cueto, Minor, and Duscherer.

I took a risk, but loading up on SP would not have won me the league, and would not have improved my position that much either for the coming years. Young pitching is much more of a crapshoot than you paint it.

Did someone keep Waino?

Wainwright is currently available, but would it really be worth it to draft him? I was thinking of grabbing him and stashing him on DL once the Mets put Santana on the DL, but I don't think he has more upside at this point than anyone on my roster.
khabibul35
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 am

A) Pence was a great pick since you have a lot of aging players on offense
B) Closers are terrible keepers so you're going to find yourself in this same situation next year with no starters as keepers
C) Young starters are a crapshoot SO you need a lot of them if you're going to find a a couple of keepers
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:56 am

khabibul35 wrote:Wainwright is currently available, but would it really be worth it to draft him? I was thinking of grabbing him and stashing him on DL once the Mets put Santana on the DL, but I don't think he has more upside at this point than anyone on my roster.

I probably would've taken Waino over Farnsworth or maybe Russell Martin, if you wanted to try to corner the market on RPs. You picked up Posada already anyway -- and I'm sure he's the more useful trade bait for catcher (assuming he bounces back as the Yanks' primary DH).

Since you have no definite keepers for SP and don't already have enough solid bats to fill 10 keepers, might be good to stash Waino as a potential candidate to keep if not enough of your other candidates pan out well enough.

Do you only have 1 DL spot? Anyway, even if you only have 1 DL spot, given your situation, I'd probably rather stash Waino than give spots to *both* Farnsworth and Martin. You can always grab somebody else for a spin when Santana eventually comes off the DL to free up the spot for stashing Waino...
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)

Postby khabibul35 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Well, for what it's worth. I won week 1 with the following stats:

Stats ----- HR BB AVG SLG SB PA IP BBs Ks ERA QS Sv
My team: 19 38 .257 .471 7 465 21.2 8 20 2.08 0 15
Opponent: 13 34 .260 .430 11 441 90.0 25 79 4.70 7 6

Final score, 7 - 5 Win.

Just as importantly, I picked up some key young arms that should help next season, or maybe even this year: Ogando, Britton, Beachy

Not all will pan out, but if they do well, I could enter next year with a decent staff considering I have Santana and Wainwright stashed as well.

All in all, I think having started with Karuda as my best pitchers, I've built a team that should get to the post-season and have some arms that could develop by the end of the season into keepers for next year.
khabibul35
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers