Return to Baseball Leftovers

Late Round Catchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Late Round Catchers

Postby Voodoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Can anyone suggest any decent late round catchers to go after. It seems I always let the catchers slide on my draft board, especially if I grab a short stop early. I wound up with Y.Molina and J.Thole in my first draft this year, rounds 15 and 16. Hoping to do better next draft...
Voodoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Late Round Catchers

Postby West » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:03 pm

Not quite sure how deep you want to go but from the 15th round onward these are the names that I like:
Kurt Suzuki (185th overall) is a solid option as he was quite unlucky last year (.245 BABIP) and should have an average bounceback.
Chris Iannaetta (237) and J.P. Arencibia (271) have excellent power upside and I actually like Arencibia a little better. He struggles vs. lefties and while he won't hit for a good average I still think he has a better shot at .250 than Iannaetta.
There's contact master A.J. Pierzynski at 330th overall. He's usually good for .280/10 hr/70 RBI and the White Sox offense should be much improved.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia is getting another chance with the Red Sox and could provide good counting numbers. He's not much of a risk at 358th overall.

It really is slim pickings trying to get a catcher late.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BalataGrande » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 pm

The guy I like best very late is AJ Pierzynski. He is not a killer in any category and the difference between his production and the 7-8 catcher is negligible. He's been available in every mock I've done in the last 2 rounds. Sometimes you can get Posada to fall that far and he's a good option too.
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:31 am

Yeah, I've been seeing Posada fall past the 15th and I think he's a real solid option this year. Playing DH should keep him healthier and in the lineup, and there's nice HR/RBI potential there.

Staying with the Yankees, Russell Martin could be interesting. In that Yankees lineup, he has a chance to be a contributor in all 5 categories (well, for a catcher anyway)...I could see something like .270/60 R/10 HR/60 RBI/10 SB. Of course, he (and Posada really) have to hold off Montero.

In OBP leagues, John Jaso is an interesting choice. Looks like he's gonna hit leadoff against RHP...should be a good source of R/OBP there.

And in standard 5 x 5 leagues, I would agree with those suggesting Pierzynski as a guy who isn't going to hurt you and can at least contribute a little.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 am

I'm not interested in AJ on my teams. He's just filling a spot imo while not contributing much and is best left on the waiver wire (unless you're in deep leagues). I would rather take a chance that Suzuki rebounds or Posada stays healthy. Or I take a catcher in the 12-15th rds and get a guy like Miguel Montero or Napoli. Another possibliity is taking Jesus Montero and Martin late and hoping that one of them turns in a good season.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:39 am

I like Iannetta getting his AB at Coors, where he has a career .834 OPS in 176 Games.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:13 pm

West and Scooter have mentioned all the decent sleeper options at catcher. I'm definitely not going after a top catcher this year, so my hope is either a Montero, Wieters, or Suzuki fall to where I'm comfortable drafting them.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Garry26 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:54 pm

The thing with catchers is that after Posey and McCann, its pretty much a crap shoot.

You can either risk going for an aging power catcher, or go for someone that doesnt hurt you.

Martinez and Posada are old, but they got punch. Santana, Soto, and a few others might provide some punch, but will they repeat? Or you can go for a catcher that wont singlehandedly drag your team BA into the gutter

Usually, after the guaranteed top 2-4 guys are gone, I go for a catcher with decent batting average. Last year I went with no catcher until I grabbed Buch off the wire. I rather lose 2pts in the standings, that a catchers 50runs & 50 rbis might give me, than lose 4 pts off batting average.

Note If you have lots of low BA guys, then to heck with it and grab the best available runs-power-rbi catcher available. I mean, if you have lots of guys like Pena, Dunn, Reynolds, etc, then your BA is in the gutter anyway
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:28 am

Nick Hundley SD

He will outperform a lot of catchers who are drafted long before him.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 am

I've got some catcher rankings up and they're 40 deep for a good look at what's around in the endgame.
Link
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers