Return to Baseball Leftovers

Late Round Catchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Late Round Catchers

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:29 am

West wrote:I've got some catcher rankings up and they're 40 deep for a good look at what's around in the endgame.
Link

Very nice. A.J. Pierzynski is much too high for my tastes but otherwise I really like it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ggs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:19 pm

im not reaching for a top5 guy so not going to even look at C until final 2 rounds.
ggs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 171)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby West » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
West wrote:I've got some catcher rankings up and they're 40 deep for a good look at what's around in the endgame.
Link

Very nice. A.J. Pierzynski is much too high for my tastes but otherwise I really like it.

Pierzynski is a pretty boring pick. I guess I see him as a safer version of Russell Martin...However, I'd probably jump for a higher power upside guy like Arencibia or Iannaetta before grabbing AJ, who seems to find his way to the waiver wire in my 12 team mixed league every season.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:57 pm

West wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Link

Pierzynski is a pretty boring pick. I guess I see him as a safer version of Russell Martin...However, I'd probably jump for a higher power upside guy like Arencibia or Iannaetta before grabbing AJ, who seems to find his way to the waiver wire in my 12 team mixed league every season.

Pierzynski was a favorite pick of mine in year's past. I just saw a real decline in his bat last year and at 34 I don't think he is going to rebound.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:56 pm

West wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Link

AJ is only rosterable in deeper leagues like 20 teamers or 2C leagues. Catcher has gotten pretty deep and you should at least start the season with a guy with some upside.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Nice job on the catchers article, West. I'll be using that as my late rounds C cheat sheet.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 176)

Postby West » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:17 pm

kab21 wrote:
West wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Very nice. A.J. Pierzynski is much too high for my tastes but otherwise I really like it.

AJ is only rosterable in deeper leagues like 20 teamers or 2C leagues. Catcher has gotten pretty deep and you should at least start the season with a guy with some upside.

Yeah, after seeing AJ's GB rates for the past 4 years (43%/44%/47%/49%), and taking into account age (34) I have to agree and I'll be bumping him down a bit. However, I still do expect a bit of a bounceback for him in the average dept., and I think his R/RBI will go along with it. Power is just not there anymore.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:03 am

In one league, I haven;t drafted a catcher in the past 3 years. Every year I've seemed to find a top 10 option...Inge/Navarro/Doutmit etc. I think some of it has to do with the fact the position isn't on most people's waiver wire watch list. I go into the year paying closer attention to catcher and as soon as someone shows signs of life I go ahead and drop that extra pitcher I was hoping to pan out or the one that isn't. I've grown to like my Mr. Irrelevant SP pick that league. Point is that by that point the draft you don't need to draft one. If you are in roto you C isn't going to play every game anyway. Why not nab a fringe breakout guy like Latos last year or Gio or Volquez few years back. Give them a week or two extra to see if they bust out early. By then someone on your roster will be worth dropping or worth trading to make room for a catcher.

I've done it in aH2H league as well. A Catcher typically brings down your AVG and is non-factor in SB...so how many HR/Runs/RBI are you going to miss on that cost you a category? and even if it does, it's one category for one week. In a competive league I'd rather go a week or two without the small contributions from my catcher (assuming you have waited until after 10 C are gone) to let a SP get a start or two under his belt and see if you've got something nice. SP come off the WW every year to be fantasy gold. Additionally, when you are the only one focusing on the catcher position fomr the waiver wire, you're more likely to pounce on a catcher early.

AJ and Posada aren't sexy but they'll finish in the 10-14 range of backstops. Jaso is an intersting player as well. The atypical lead off hitter could be useful especially in OBP leagues.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Arencibia was a guy I targeted and after a 2 HR game to start the season, I thought it was a solid move. I still do, and am still very bullish on JP, however, he seems to only play every other game. I'm not knowledgeable on the C situation in Toronto...what gives?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby boredguy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:24 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Arencibia was a guy I targeted and after a 2 HR game to start the season, I thought it was a solid move. I still do, and am still very bullish on JP, however, he seems to only play every other game. I'm not knowledgeable on the C situation in Toronto...what gives?

Plan from the start was for Molina to catch Morrow and Drabek. Guess even with Morrow's injury they're sticking with the 60/40 play time.
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers