Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do you draft setup men?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you draft setup men?

Postby kickureface » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:20 am

Obviously you do if Holds is there, but do you if there are no holds with the purpose of locking ERA WHIP K?
I think this can be effective if there are a lot of good starters on your team to take W, giving you 4 out of 5 pitching categories. Add in a a couple good closers and you can win all 5.
12x23
Keep: 1IF, 1OF, 1SP, 1RP
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, BB, K, 1B, 2B, (3B, E, GS)
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HLD, IP, QS, (L, BS, CG)

C: Montero
1B: Teix
2B: Roberts
3B: Longoria
SS: Nishioka
LF: Holliday
CF: Rios
RF: Bruce
OF: Pence
IF: Kila
Util: Raburn
kickureface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do you draft setup men?

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 am

In a IP max league...definitely. Get 2 or 3 solid MR, they can give you 150-200 IP of 2.5 ERA and 1.1 WHIP, with a 9+ K/9, and maybe throw in 10 wins and 10+ SV (and even more if one of them becomes a closer).

In a non IP max league (i.e. H-2-H), I generally pass on MR unless I don't have a lot of closers and am speculating on saves.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kickureface » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:14 am

i was talking H2H, thanks for the roto tip.

this strat would work during the draft--pass on closers and grab extra SP, better hitting, or go after holds if possible. works better in an auction too--less money on closers = more money on SP/BAT
12x23
Keep: 1IF, 1OF, 1SP, 1RP
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, BB, K, 1B, 2B, (3B, E, GS)
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, BB, HLD, IP, QS, (L, BS, CG)

C: Montero
1B: Teix
2B: Roberts
3B: Longoria
SS: Nishioka
LF: Holliday
CF: Rios
RF: Bruce
OF: Pence
IF: Kila
Util: Raburn
kickureface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wingman3110 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 am

Guys like Bard and Sale could become very valuable.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 am

I only play roto, but with a relatively low IP cap I always like to use MR. Actually, when I make my rankings I don't use Ks, I use K/9 and turn that into a counting stat like you'd do with ERA and WHIP, since essentially everybody will be at or near the IP cap so the counting stats are all effectively rate stats. The same should be done for W and SV, but W/IP and SV/IP are less diverse and less predictable than K/IP (well, I assume they are... I should probably look further into that).
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby Benkei » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am

Even without holds, it makes sense to use the high end middle relievers if your active rosters are so big that you'd otherwise be rolling the dice on risky starters.

I am in a 12 team roto league (W,S, K/9, ERA, WHIP) with 9 active "P" spots that have to be filled every week, so yeah, grabbing guys who can contribute to 3 of those categories is better than taking your chances on guys who could murder your ERA and WHIP.

I actually got into a bidding war over Kuo with my last roster spot to fill in my auction and wound up paying him more than some closers are getting . . .
Benkei
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

of course, guys like Gregerson, Soriano, Adams, Bard, Chapman, Kuo etc... can really help your ratios and team ERA/WHIP, and provide daily boosts to K's and the occasional win. They're also next in line for saves which makes them hot commodities once the guy in front of them goes down, which makes drafting guys like Romo, Fuentes, Motte, Jansen, Meek, Venters, Sale, Uehara, Madson etc. justifiable.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:24 pm

Setup men are definitely useful. Whether or not I'd draft them depends on the league. I'd probably follow everyone else, to some extent. Two reasons: first, setup men have limited upside (unless they could become closers; even then they aren't really elite-level value) due to the low number of innings they pitch. Secondly, you can often find great setup men on the wire. I probably wouldn't have more than 1-2 on your team to start the year, simply because I like a lot of upside on my team to start the year, then as the year goes on I replace that upside with more "sure things".
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:57 pm

10 team, H2H league. 7x7 w/ the following cats:

W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS.

For the first week I streamed ZERO SP, while my opponent streamed 3 SP. Here are the results:

*note, I'm only putting out C.Sale's numbers, as he is the player I would drop and use his spot to stream a SP.

My Team:
C. Sale - 4.1 IP, W, 6K, 4.15 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 12.46 K/9, 0 QS

My Opponent:
4/03 - Wade Davis: 6.1 IP, 3K, 5.68 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 4.26 K/9
4/04 - D. Holland: 6.0 IP, W, 5K, 4.50 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 7.50 k/9, QS
4/05 - Ogando: 6.0 IP, W, 4K, 0.00 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, 6.00 k/9, QS

Total: 18.1 IP, 2 W, 12K, 3.44 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 6.0 K/9, 2 QS

so in a 7x7 cat, his streaming SP won over my one RP: 4 to 1, w/ WHIP and saves being a push (Wins, ERA, K, QS). ERA could have gone either way though, as Ogando really brought his ERA down, and Sale only had one bad outing to destroy his own ERA.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Sale's effect on your ERA/WHIP and K/9 are negligible. You need to turn them into counting stats to make a useful comparison. In a league with no IP cap or deterrent to streaming, especially a shallow league, it's almost always more beneficial to stream SPs than use RPs with good ratios.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers