Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question for owners of M's pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question for owners of M's pitchers

Postby B-Chad » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Having not paid all that close attention to the M's position battles in the spring, I was surprised to see both Jack Wilson and Brendan Ryan manning the middle infield for the M's. My first thought was, that has to be about the worst hitting middle infield I can come up with in recent memory, basically two bingo squares for opposing pitchers. However, after further thought, I realized that may also be about the best defensive pairing I can come up with up the middle, assuming Wilson is able to take his awesome range over to second base and field that position cleanly. Most likely this thread will be an afterthought come early June when Dustin Ackley is promoted to replace Jack Wilson as the starting second baseman, but if you own an M's pitcher, are you: A- Disgusted by the fact both Wilson and Ryan are easy outs or B- Ecstatic that you have a couple fielding studs behind them in the the field. Considering the groundball inducing ways of King Felix, I'd have to think perhaps B? Just kind of curious if there is a consensus opinion.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question for owners of M's pitchers

Postby mblax10 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 pm

Are you kidding? When Gutierez comes back, the Mariners will have gold glove caliber defenders at 5 positions. Do you realize how much of pitching success/failure is due to defense?
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 pm

mblax10 wrote:Are you kidding? When Gutierez comes back, the Mariners will have gold glove caliber defenders at 5 positions. Do you realize how much of pitching success/failure is due to defense?

I would think my asking this question would indicate I understand the value of defense... if I didn't I'd simply assume everyone hates that middle infield :-b
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby striderex » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Their hitting ability only affects how many wins they will get anyway and wins are a random stat. Give me good era and whip any day.
striderex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:20 pm

There has to be a little give and take...5 gold glovers is only good if they can hit their way out of a paper sack on occasion...just look at last year. With that said I'm not sure Ackley will be some kind of offensive force either though....just saying great defense only gets you so far by itself.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:58 am

My take is that they're the best options. If they can hit even a little bit, I can live with their weak bats in exchange for amazing defense. I pretty much always expect them to hit weak grounders to 2B every time they step into the box, Jack Wilson has a strange looking face, and Ryan looks like he's in the middle of chemotherapy treatment, BUT... they also both do stuff like this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13469237

That is a flat-out spectacular play and it's not even Wilson's natural position.

Anyway, from a fantasy perspective and trying to be objective and taking off my M's cap, it's great. You can start M's pitchers with more confidence because of the superb defense and you can start pitchers against them because of the weak bats.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -9)

Postby Tis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:58 am

striderex wrote:wins are a random stat.

I bet a frustrated Felix Hernandez would disagree with you.

Wins are *somewhat* random. But if your team scores a lot of runs, you're odds are a lot better of getting those Ws.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers