Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo League Message Board sux

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo League Message Board sux

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:59 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:We don't need Maslow, I clarified need already. B-)

that maslow dude didn't know what the eff he was talking about, anyways... I don't see facebook or sprinkler systems anywhere on that hierarchy.. :-b

Facebook is where sex is, sprinkler systems for self-esteem.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Madison wrote:Artful Dodger said it was a need.

When I say need with regards to Facebook, I'm saying it in a different context. People need Facebook, but not in the way that they need water, food, and oxygen which are vital to living. Facebook is a different kind of need. It's like saying I need a computer to do spreadsheets, browse the web, get email, etc. and buying an Apple. Any computer will do, but I choose Apple. Facebook is a communications medium of organizing contacts, talking to friends, and networking with other people over shared interests. Myspace is the same thing, but people tend to prefer using Facebook.

So, my definition of a need here is more about demand for something than it is a requisite for something.

No worries. ;-D I just wanted to point out that the *need* for Facebook isn't a *need* in the traditional sense, and while I was pretty sure I knew what you meant, I wanted to point out the other.

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Madison wrote:I based my reaction off tablesetter's original insult. Personally, I have no need (like most people) for Facebook or Twitter, so I don't use either one. Has nothing to do with what the sheep are or aren't doing, but when one of the sheep says join the herd or you're not cool, I have to speak up about how silly that entire line of thinking is. :-b

Don't you think it's silly to take it one step further and say I don't want to do something just because everyone's doing it?

I didn't say that. I said:

I am not saying that not having a Facebook is cool. I'm saying thinking for yourself and not doing something simply because the herd is doing it, is cool.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby West » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Facebook is great, I was in college when it was created and after moving far away from alot of my college friends, it's really helps me to stay in touch with a number of people. If you don't have it because of some personal preference, then good for you. It's like people who will never get a cell phone or a television. I understand that you can live without these things, but I like them because they're convenient. I don't need these things, but I certainly won't make other people feel crappy about themselves because they prefer to have or not have certain things. Just get over it and move on.

And yeah, we use it on the offseason for trades and other nonsense. It's a really useful, because Yahoo closes down the message board. It isn't "cool" or "uncool" or whatever. If you're criticizing people for not having it, or calling people "sheep" for having it, then yes, you are a loser.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm

lastingsgriller wrote: I don't see facebook or sprinkler systems anywhere on that hierarchy.. :-b

Sprinkler System

Headaches.
Diarrhea.

Facebook.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:14 pm

West wrote:Facebook is great, I was in college when it was created and after moving far away from alot of my college friends, it's really helps me to stay in touch with a number of people. If you don't have it because of some personal preference, then good for you. It's like people who will never get a cell phone or a television. I understand that you can live without these things, but I like them because they're convenient. I don't need these things, but I certainly won't make other people feel crappy about themselves because they prefer to have or not have certain things. Just get over it and move on.

And yeah, we use it on the offseason for trades and other nonsense. It's a really useful, because Yahoo closes down the message board. It isn't "cool" or "uncool" or whatever. If you're criticizing people for not having it, or calling people "sheep" for having it, then yes, you are a loser.

Just for clarity, I'm only using the word sheep because that's what someone is showing he is.

I agree with most of the post though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Madison wrote:I based my reaction off tablesetter's original insult. Personally, I have no need (like most people) for Facebook or Twitter, so I don't use either one. Has nothing to do with what the sheep are or aren't doing, but when one of the sheep says join the herd or you're not cool, I have to speak up about how silly that entire line of thinking is. :-b

Don't you think it's silly to take it one step further and say I don't want to do something just because everyone's doing it?

I didn't say that. I said:

I am not saying that not having a Facebook is cool. I'm saying thinking for yourself and not doing something simply because the herd is doing it, is cool.

Why do I get the feeling I'm watching an after-school special or a "say no to drugs" PSA? :-b

It's easy to think people just join because it's the cool thing to do. I think the reasons are more varied for joining Facebook now than they were 6-7 years ago. Surely, being one of the cool kids is one reason for some, but one of many and not the ultimate reason either.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Madison wrote:I am not saying that not having a Facebook is cool. I'm saying thinking for yourself and not doing something simply because the herd is doing it, is cool.

Here, I'll write this differently so there is no more confusion:

Thinking for yourself and not letting the herd influence any decision you make is the epitome of cool.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Madison wrote:Thinking for yourself and not letting the herd influence any decision you make is the epitome of cool.

I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Madison wrote:
Madison wrote:I am not saying that not having a Facebook is cool. I'm saying thinking for yourself and not doing something simply because the herd is doing it, is cool.

Here, I'll write this differently so there is no more confusion:

Thinking for yourself and not letting the herd influence any decision you make is the epitome of cool.

I have heard that staying in school is cool. also, peeing in your pants.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:32 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Madison wrote:Thinking for yourself and not letting the herd influence any decision you make is the epitome of cool.

I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool.

Shame Carlito couldn't pull off the character. :-b

I think Primo is on the chopping block this time around. Rumor is 12-14 people will be let go any day now.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers