Return to Baseball Leftovers

Abreu keep up the pace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Abreu keep up the pace?

Postby brianrapp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

The guy is off to a ridiculous start.. besides the phenomenal hitting and stat line he has already swiped 2 bags.. With him saving his body by mostly starting at DH ca this last all year??
brianrapp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Abreu keep up the pace?

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:19 pm

I don't see why he can't swipe 20-25 bases. I'm sure being at DH will help keep him fresh, too.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I'd say no, he's too old to be considered a .400 hitter.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:49 pm

the guy year in and year out posts 15-20 HR, 20+ SB, and 80+ R and 80+ RBI...last year his AVG took a big dip, but traditionally he is a .300 hitter...I'm not counting on .300 again because father time is catching up to him, but .280, 85 R, 85 RBI, 18 HR, 25 SB is a great #3 OF line.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kweiss » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:the guy year in and year out posts 15-20 HR, 20+ SB, and 80+ R and 80+ RBI...last year his AVG took a big dip, but traditionally he is a .300 hitter...I'm not counting on .300 again because father time is catching up to him, but .280, 85 R, 85 RBI, 18 HR, 25 SB is a great #3 OF line.

That's what I was expecting when I drafted him this year. People seem to be counting him out because of one bad year. He's getting older, but I don't buy a 50 point drop in batting average in one season.

He's hitting third for a pretty good offense, so you have to think the runs and RBIs will be there as long as he keeps his average passable. And as said before, DHing will have to help him keep up the pace.

All that said, he does seem to have a history of playing better in April.
kweiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 am

LOL...I love early season threads...not really. The funny thing was just a couple days ago(after facing Francis) the Abreu talk was of how awful he was and he was done...now a couple days later he's an All-Star.

Abreu is what he is...ya might expect a little bit of a regression because of age but if we haven't figured out yet he just does what he does I don't know what to tell ya.

These early season threads wear me out...hard to keep up with them...I almost respond to a lot of these threads but it just isn't worth it to talk about really. We should still expect that our preseason rankings/projections are going to hold true at least until May hits then we can look at rethinking some things...until then, hold on tight that is the roller coaster ride of limited AB's/IP's early in the year and how the stats can change so drastically in 1 or 2 games. A couple of 0fers and things don't look great on the stat pages but one 3 for 4 game with a hr and 3rbi just flips the bad thoughts right around....don't wear yourselves out and freak yourselves out over it right now....give it a few more weeks at the least.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 am

I got laughed at in my draft for spending $15 on him. He most likely is a 18ish/24ish guy so it just comes down to how good the Angels lineup does this year and if his BABIP goes back to normal which it most likely will.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby fantasybaseballking » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:54 am

I'll be curious how his bod holds up over the second half of the season. That being said, he DID increase his OPS from .765 to .817 over the break last season so..who knows?

My guess is his power and speed fall off a bit, but he remains a good hitter. To me, a line of .275/.360/.425 with about 16 homers and 23 stolen bases seems about right.
Owner: http://www.thefantasybaseballking.com
Columnist: Fantasy Baseball Dugout, Razzball, Dobber Baseball, FantasyBaseball.com, Pro Fantasy Baseball

Follow me on Twitter: @fantasybking
Like my Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/l7Tv5L
fantasybaseballking
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -21)

Postby brianrapp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:00 pm

fantasybaseballking wrote:I'll be curious how his bod holds up over the second half of the season. That being said, he DID increase his OPS from .765 to .817 over the break last season so..who knows?

My guess is his power and speed fall off a bit, but he remains a good hitter. To me, a line of .275/.360/.425 with about 16 homers and 23 stolen bases seems about right.

However, as a DH I really see the normal wear and tear of the season being much less of an issue for him.. I'd say 75% of the rundown comes from playing hard in the field.
brianrapp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby fantasybaseballking » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:20 pm

However, as a DH I really see the normal wear and tear of the season being much less of an issue for him.. I'd say 75% of the rundown comes from playing hard in the field.

Have to admit I forgot about him being a DH these days. Fair point, so maybe pad my predictions a bit. Still, I'd expect a comedown.
Owner: http://www.thefantasybaseballking.com
Columnist: Fantasy Baseball Dugout, Razzball, Dobber Baseball, FantasyBaseball.com, Pro Fantasy Baseball

Follow me on Twitter: @fantasybking
Like my Facebook Page: http://on.fb.me/l7Tv5L
fantasybaseballking
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -21)

Return to Baseball Leftovers