Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt LaPorta finally becoming Fantasy Relevant???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt LaPorta finally becoming Fantasy Relevant???

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:17 am

He hit his First Dinger of 2011 tonight but hasn't done too much else... I was pretty high on him lastyr and he disappointed greatly, showing little to know progress but he's still VERY young and VERY raw, with A LOT of talent... He has been the centerpiece of a couple of trades involving "Elite MLB Talent" so scouts obviously see "something" in the kid... Will he finally come to fruition in 2011? Or atleast "breakout" enough to be rosterable in 10-Team (non-keeper) Leagues??? I'm curious to hear all of your opinions? Has anyone seen "anything" to write home about with this kid?? He's rostered on almost all my teams currently but it's more speculative than anything... Let's hear the Cafe's Opinion on Matty LaPorta!!!???
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt LaPorta finally becoming Fantasy Relevant???

Postby k.k. » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:43 am

I wasted my time with LaPorta a bit last year, I won't do it this year. He'll have to go on a monster tear to make a believer out of me. One HR last night is barely a start.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 am

Metropolitans wrote:...but he's still VERY young and VERY raw, with A LOT of talent...

IMO only one of those things is true, in that he's got a lot of talent. He's not "raw" in the traditional sense of the term. He's got more than 600 MLB plate appearances and he's consistently proven he can hit AAA pitching. Also, he's not particularly young. Good hitters usually do a lot more before they're 26. But you don't need to lean on scouts seeing "something" in this kid to know that he's got talent. A quick glance at his minor league numbers will do that. .310/.400/.548 in AAA and .296/.390/.563 across all levels, so yeah.

However he hasn't done anything in the majors, really. Sometimes that happens - some prospects just don't make it, straight up. I mean, there's always hope, but with each new mediocrity the size of the breakout they'd have to have to make you pay attention gets bigger. Like Brandon Wood would have to, I don't know, OPS over 1.000 for a month, then I'd pay attention.

My opinion is that LaPorta isn't going to come close to being roster-worthy in a 10 team redraft. Hell, he could actually break out and still not be worth rostering; that's a pretty shallow league. In deeper league's he's worth keeping an eye on if only for the fact that he's almost guaranteed consistent playing time and in most league's he's 1B/OF eligible which can be helpful.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: -9)

Postby West » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 am

I don't "think" that "Matt" Laporta is "rosterable" in a "10 team league" at this particular "time".

Sorry, when I read your post all I could think about was Chris Farley doing air quotes.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Tis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:33 am

West wrote:I don't "think" that "Matt" Laporta is "rosterable" in a "10 team league" at this particular "time".

Sorry, when I read your post all I could think about was Chris Farley doing air quotes.

You "have" know idea what you're talking about!!!!????
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 am

"I have what some could call a little bit of a 'weight problem'." :-b :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Hahahahaha, u guys are "d*cks", lol, but I can see where you're coming from!
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:28 pm

West wrote:I don't "think" that "Matt" Laporta is "rosterable" in a "10 team league" at this particular "time".

:-D
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby West » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Tis wrote:

Did you mean, I have no idea what I'm talking about?

If you're going to insult me, then at least do it with grammar above a 2nd grade level. And if you were joking, then I guess I don't get the joke. Matt Laporta sucks.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:37 pm

West wrote:
Tis wrote:

Did you mean, I have no idea what I'm talking about?

If you're going to insult me, then at least do it with grammar above a 2nd grade level. And if you were joking, then I guess I don't get the joke. Matt Laporta sucks.

A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers