Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Harrison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Harrison

Postby Gags Sports » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 am

Is this guy worthy of a roster spot in a 10 or 12 team mixed? Two very strong starts so far, one against a struggling Red Sox lineup and another (even more impressive) against a red-hot Orioles lineup. The run support will certainly be there for him, but is this just a hot start or is there some potential here?
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harrison

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Gags Sports wrote:Is this guy worthy of a roster spot in a 10 or 12 team mixed? Two very strong starts so far, one against a struggling Red Sox lineup and another (even more impressive) against a red-hot Orioles lineup. The run support will certainly be there for him, but is this just a hot start or is there some potential here?

He's not a big strikeout guy, so you're really looking for wins and some manageable ratios from him. His numbers through the minors aren't that exciting, and his start thus far is definitely not his norm, so I'd expect him to regress to the tune of an ERA in the high 3s, low 4s, and a WHIP of around 1.25. Definitely someone I would consider spot-starting against a weak lineup for a win if I needed it and had the bench space.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:25 pm

he's had the benefit of bad hitting instead of good pitching. I watched his start against the red sox and he doesn't have good stuff, he had a really lucky performance and bad offense really bailed him out. As the year goes on and players get adjusted and more comfortable his numbers will come back down to earth.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:01 pm

His velocity is up 2 MPH from where it used to be so there is reason to expect some improvements. I picked him up but am keeping him on my bench until I see more. I got him more because he fits into my RP slot though and I gave up on Vazquez since that Marlins team is pretty bad defensively and his velocity still seems down.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Return to Baseball Leftovers