Return to Baseball Leftovers

Batting Order Frustrations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Batting Order Frustrations

Postby Giambis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:46 pm

I know the conventional wisdom is that lineup order has a minimal effect on a team's success, but I'm fairly certain it has more of an effect on a player's fantasy value (though if anyone has seen a study on this, I'd love to see it). My apologies because this may be more venting than anything else, but reviewing some lineups, I am pretty confused about some batting orders so far this year:

- Dusty has Bruce hitting 7th today, ahead of him are Rolen, Gomes and Renteria
- Rangers have Cruz hitting 6th - behind Young and Beltre
- Gonzalez has Heyward hitting 6th, and McLouth hitting 2nd
- Francona hitting Crawford 7th (albeit sporadically).

Now I understand that it's still early, but I'm hoping someone could shed some light on the permanency/implications of these lineups. A guy like Maddon, for example, switches his order everyday, but generally, I haven't seen much movement on the above guys, with the exception of Crawford. Gonzalez seems pretty set on Heyward in the 6th slot, for example, which may lead to a few more rbis, but which will almost certainly be offset by a drop-off in runs and an uptick in walks as he gets pitched around (and he will take his walks). If nothing else, please feel free to post your own frustrations.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Batting Order Frustrations

Postby bigken117 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 pm

He's .696 OPS against lefties for his career, hitting him 7th is smart. That's when he hit there before, a lefty was starting, tonight notwithstanding.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby Giambis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:03 pm

bigken117 wrote:He's .696 OPS against lefties for his career, hitting him 7th is smart. That's when he hit there before, a lefty was starting, tonight notwithstanding.

That's a good thought, I had forgotten that Bruce was facing a lefty. Of course, the perception is that Bruce can't hit lefties, but he actually hit them better than righties last year (.277/.352/.547), and hit 'em a bit better than Rolen and Gomes and much better than Renteria. Either way, seems to me there are good reasons for him at least to be in the 5 slot against righties and, if there's really a split, then drop him to the 6th slot against lefties. There really isn't much of an argument that Gomes is a better hitter than him, and it would allow Dusty to go R-L-R in his 4-5-6 slots, which managers seem to enjoy.

Of course, I say all this after Bruce goes a solid 1-5 and ends the game with a strike out with the tying run on base, so maybe Dusty's just a genius.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:35 am

Cruz is a really mediocre hitter outside of Texas so if they were on the road I get that one too. McLouth really fits the mold of the #2 hitter that managers like so much so that doesn't surprise me much. Crawford has been horrible so far this season so I get that one too, he also doesn't hit LHP very well.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Return to Baseball Leftovers