Return to Baseball Leftovers

Antonio Bastardo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Antonio Bastardo

Postby BChinly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:02 am

Is this guy the real deal? Struck out 6 braves in a row last night McCann through Hudson. What do you guys think???
Bringing back Activeness with Boredom.
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Antonio Bastardo

Postby smoovethug » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:24 am

He's got good stuff, nice life on the FB and a pretty good slider. Good enough stuff to be a K per inning guy IMO. Cutting down on the walks and staying healthy are his main concerns. Manuel likes him a lot, it wouldn't surprise me if at some point he became the go to LHP over J.C. Romero who looks downright terrible at times. Fantasy-wise I wouldn't run to the wire to add him as there are probably more reliable setup men to be had, but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:55 am

I pretty much agree with smoovethug. I'll add that I don't think he has too much fantasy potential really (outside of K/9) since he can pitch multiple innings (which actually hurts him; since the Phillies have a lot of guys in their bullpen who don't have that flexibility, Bastardo/Kendrick are really the two long-relievers). Not really much of anything for this year, has some upside going forward but you can say that about a lot of middle relievers; I don't think you need to run to your waiver wire for this guy...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Super Manny » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:19 pm

I know it adds absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand, but every time I see or hear this guy's name, I can't help but literally translate to English as "Anthony the Bastard".

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers