Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/11 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Kila

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which 1B would you rather have for the rest of the season?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 am

Kila Ka'haihue
51%
Brandon Belt
49%

Total votes : 37

4/11 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Kila

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:58 am

Testing your patience.
The Kansas City Royals trial by immersion continues for struggling prospect Kila Ka'haihue -- whose vulnerabilities have been laid bare by left-handed pitching as evidenced by his .154 average against them over the first eight games of the season. Ka'aihue, a late bloomer at age 27, was made to look ridiculous in a recent confrontation with Tigers lefty Phil Coke, who fed him a dozen curve balls that held the so-called "Hawaiian Punch" punchless with three swinging strikeouts, all on pitches that cut the plate. Not a fastball in the bunch, and all from a hurler who is not exactly Sandy Koufax. Now the six-foot-four, 235-pound first baseman's challenge intensifies as he must face three lefties this week, Brian Duensing and Francisco Liriano of the Twins, and Eric Bedard of the Mariners. By the time they get through with him, he might be happy to see a righty except for one thing: It will be Bedard's teammate Felix Hernandez, the fireballing ace.
Some scouts and personnel people have become skeptical of Houston Astros 1B Brett Wallace's ability to hit for power and handle hard inside pitches but the team is willing to give him time to develop, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. He is a career .138 hitter (4-for-29) on inside fastballs and 0-for-21 against breaking balls and changeups on the inside half of the plate, while often displaying a tendency to start his swing too early and hit balls foul. On the other hand, Wallace is batting .277 on balls over the middle of the plate and .265 on pitches away. "I know a lot of people say, 'Pound him in,' but he's got plenty of bat speed," hitting coach Mike Barnett said. "The other thing people say is that he needs to get more (weight) shift in his swing. If you watch Lance Berkman, he doesn't get much shift either. But because he's done it year after year, that's OK for him." Barnett feels Wallace will develop more power with time and added that he's not bothered by the fact that Wallace is more of a "hands-type of hitter" than a weight-shift hitter.
After sitting Saturday, Brandon Belt went 0-for-3 for the Giants in Sunday's loss to the Cardinals

Waiver Wire Watch
J.A. Happ allowed just one earned run, four hits and four walks over 7 2/3 innings Sunday, April 10, in a win against the Florida Marlins. "I was trying to get ahead of hitters and pitch aggressively, and almost not even try to throw strikes," Happ said. "More or less just have some conviction with what I'm throwing and be aggressive with it."
Anibal Sanchez allowed six earned runs and 13 hits over 4 2/3 innings in a loss Sunday against the Houston Astros. Sanchez has allowed eight runs and 20 hits in 10 1/3 innings in just two starts.
Brandon McCarthy allowed two earned runs, nine hits and no walks in 7 1/3 innings in a win against the Minnesota Twins Sunday. It was McCarthy's first major league victory since Sept. 8, 2009
Aaron Harang allowed two runs - one earned - and three hits over six innings Sunday in a win against the Los Angeles Thugs.
Kyle Lohse allowed one earned run, five hits and no walks over eight innings Sunday against the San Francisco Giants
Jason Marquis fanned nine while allowing three runs in six innings Sunday versus the Mets. That's his highest strikeout game since 2004
Scott Baker was ineffective against the A's on Sunday, allowing seven hits and four runs in five innings in Minnesota's 5-3 loss
Brandon McCarthy turned in another solid start on Sunday, scattering nine hits and two runs over 7 1/3 innings in Oakland's 5-3 win over the Twins. He struck out five and walked none
Chris Young allowed one run on one hit in seven innings against the Washington Nationals Sunday. He struck out five batters and walked two in the game.
Jason Marquis allowed three runs on seven hits in six innings against the New York Mets Sunday. He struck out nine batters and walked two in the game.

Id bet the Over. ;-7
Dallas Braden is scheduled to face SP Mark Buehrle and the Chicago White Sox Monday. It will mark just the 21st time in MLB history that two men with perfect fames to their credit have faced each other.

More useless info
Gavin Floyd has a 2.87 ERA over his last 141 1/3 innings and 22 starts, dating back to 2010

Mention this when you send out those trade offers trying to unload him
Yankees pitching coach Larry Rothschild believes he spotted a mechanical issue that is resulting in Phil Hughes' loss in velocity

From Everybody's bench.
Josh Beckett struck out 10 in eight innings and combined with Jonathan Papelbon on a two-hit shutout of the Yankees on Sunday night.

From Twitter
Brandon Phillips: Well, can't win them all, but you can learn from the mistakes! Plus, I'm not going lie, but the @dbacks pitching staff was pretty good!!!!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/11 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Kila

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:08 am

Pitchers Im starting today.
King Felix
Madison Bumgarner

Pitchers Im sitting today.
Mat Latos.
Barry Enright.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jpbusta » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:29 am

I still haven't decided if I should start Latos or not.. :-?
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 am

Latos' 2.98 ERA at Petco Park and gem he threw in his 1 start against the Reds last year have him in my starting lineup for the day. It's rolling the dice sure, but I'm already sitting Pelfrey at Home, where he's usually very good, against the Rockies, who he usually owns. Even if he goes 5 innings, if he holds them to 1 or 2 Runs and is able to pick up the W (he's a small favorite against Volquez), I'm thrilled. Should also be noted that the O/U Total Runs on the game is 6.5, which is a figure so low that typically indicates a very low scoring affair. I know the Reds have hit very well so far this season, but Petco Park can make even the scariest lineups come down to Earth.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby jsphlly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 am

Picked up Litsch when I saw @SEA but missed the @FELIX... Sit or start?
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 am

jsphlly wrote:Picked up Litsch when I saw @SEA but missed the @FELIX... Sit or start?

Felix isn't going to change how Litsch pitches. The only thing it does is reduce his chances at a W. If you thought he would pitch well, then pitch him.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jsphlly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 am

bigh0rt wrote:
jsphlly wrote:Picked up Litsch when I saw @SEA but missed the @FELIX... Sit or start?

Felix isn't going to change how Litsch pitches. The only thing it does is reduce his chances at a W. If you thought he would pitch well, then pitch him.

After watching a good chunk of the CLE-SEA series it was more of "I will start anyone against SEA" ;-7
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 am

jsphlly wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

After watching a good chunk of the CLE-SEA series it was more of "I will start anyone against SEA" ;-7

Seattle is definitely a good team to spot start against right now. Keep in mind also that as good as Felix was last year he was only 13 - 12. If you were planning on starting Litsch before, I don't think his opp. being Felix should dissuade you.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 am

Possible WW Starts to Watch:
Alexi Ogando @Det (gets @NYY later this week)
Mark Buehrle vsOak (has looked real rough his first two times out, but Oakland, as has been the case in recent years, can't hit anything)

Dempster has the perfect recipe to rebound off of two shaky starts to begin the season; the Astros
Dice-K gets the hapless and now Mannyless Rays
Bumgarner gets the Dodgers who seem to have forgotten how to hit, but he'll have to best Kershaw
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:02 am

todays games

Rangers (8-1) @ Tigers (3-6), 1:05pm
TEX: Alexi Ogando (27, RHP, 1-0, 0.00)
DET: Justin Verlander (28, RHP, 1-0, 3.86)

Rays (1-8) @ RedSox (2-7), 7:10pm
TBR: Jeremy Hellickson (24, RHP, 0-1, 4.76)
BOS: Daisuke Matsuzaka (30, RHP, 0-1, 5.40)

Athletics (4-5) @ WhiteSox (6-3), 8:10pm
OAK: Dallas Braden (27, LHP, 0-1, 6.43)
CHW: Mark Buehrle (32, LHP, 1-0, 7.36)

Indians (7-2) @ Angels (5-4), 10:05pm
CLE: Mitch Talbot (27, RHP, 0-0, 4.15)
LAA: (2011, RHP, 0-0, undef)

Blue Jays (5-4) @ Mariners (2-7), 10:10pm
TOR: Jesse Litsch (26, RHP, 1-0, 4.26)
SEA: Felix Hernandez (25, RHP, 1-1, 2.25)

Rockies (6-2) @ Mets (4-5), 7:10pm
COL: Jason Hammel (28, RHP, 1-0, 7.20)
NYM: Mike Pelfrey (27, RHP, 0-1, 15.63)

Cubs (4-5) @ Astros (2-7), 8:05pm
CHC: Ryan Dempster (34, RHP, 0-2, 6.59)
HOU: Nelson Figueroa (37, RHP, 0-1, 10.13)

Cardinals (3-6) @ D'backs (4-4), 9:40pm
STL: Kyle McClellan (27, RHP, 0-0, 3.00)
ARI: Barry Enright (25, RHP, 0-0, 6.00)

Reds (6-3) @ Padres (4-4), 10:05pm
CIN: Edinson Volquez (27, RHP, 1-0, 7.36)
SDP: Mat Latos (23, RHP, 0-0, undef)

Dodgers (5-4) @ Giants (4-5), 10:15pm
LAD: Clayton Kershaw (23, LHP, 1-1, 2.08)
SFG: Madison Bumgarner (21, LHP, 0-1, 9.00)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers