Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/11 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Kila

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which 1B would you rather have for the rest of the season?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 am

Kila Ka'haihue
51%
Brandon Belt
49%

Total votes : 37

Re: 4/11 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Kila

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 pm

The K/9 is terrific though.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:He's being persecuted because he lied to a federal grand jury, not because he's black.

No, that's why he's being prosecuted. He's being persecuted for a number of reasons and his race almost certainly plays some role in that. How much is up for debate. Anyway, that article isn't great and there's certainly nothing new or groundbreaking in it. I can give or take most of it, but the final paragraph is spot-on. I don't understand how anyone can disagree with this at all:
The prosecution, regardless of the verdict, was a colossal misuse of time and money aimed, it seems, at making an example of a larger-than-life figure whose greatest sin was being an unlikable home run king.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm intrigued by Jonathan Herrera in deeper leagues. He has a great eye, hits near the top of the lineup, has some speed and qualifies at 2B. His playing time, like the other Rockies infielders is sketchy, but if he continues to get on base (7 BB, 0 Ks) it seems like he could secure full time ABs. Any of Lopez, Wigginton, and Herrera would be very interesting mixed league plays if they didn't sit every 3rd or 4th day.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Bonds- I don't know how you can "prove" that a man knowingly took steroids. The very nature of knowledge precludes the possibility. No athlete should be coerced into self-incrimination. Bonds took advantage of his plausible deniability and the only possible evidence that he assuredly "knowingly" took steroids would be eyewitness testimony of his use of a substance that was clearly marked as illegal or his indiscreet admission of using such a substance in which case it is still Barry's word against the witness's.

He's being unfairly singled out of a mountain of offenders and however immoral his actions (as much as 70% of the league was juicing at the time), he didn't deserve to be forced to incriminate himself in front of an egregiously leak-happy grand jury under penalty of perjury. America loves a scapegoat so they want to pin the sins of the MLB on one man. To me the charges are petty and ridiculous. Indict every single player who ever took steroids, every single manager who encouraged his players or even turned a blind eye, the union members who ABSOLUTELY KNEW DARN WELL that the preponderance of MLB players were juicing, or indict no one at all. I'm not a Bonds fan. I'm not an advocate for juiced players. I'm a hater of injustice. What Bonds is being put through is unjust.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:04 pm

My bad Art, but my point still holds. My belief is that it's much less about race and more about his inability to maintain a positive relationship with the media throughout his career combined with the fact that he was arguably the most individually successful player in baseball history. The argument that Clemens hasn't gotten the same treatment is ridiculous....anybody remember the testimony about his affair with a then-15-year-old Mindy McCready (just an example)?

EDIT: Would Bonds be as much of a target if he had come forward like Rodriguez and Pettitte did? Not a chance. Do I think Bonds has been unfairly targeted? To an extent, but one has to realize that PR purposes are going to force baseball to go after its big dogs to show that they're going to go all out to protect the sanctity of the game.
Last edited by AquaMan2342 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:09 pm

At least Dice-BB only gave up 2 BBs!
A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 pm

I know I'm guilty of a huge knee jerk here, but I already have palpable buyer's remorse on Carlos Pena. It looks like my team will be fine on power anyway, and I find myself wanting to drop him already. My rationale for drafting him was simply that if by some chance the change of scenery could give him a modest boost (particularly in average) that he could easily be worth the $4 I spent on him. Yeah, he's walking, but considering he's likely to be a batting average liability even in a best case scenario, I'm all too close to bailing on my relatively small investment. Every season you hope certain players can wipe the slate clean and reinvent some aspect of their game, but this looks like the same old Pena. I'm going to give him about another week to show me something, but that's about it.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:23 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I know I'm guilty of a huge knee jerk here, but I already have palpable buyer's remorse on Carlos Pena. It looks like my team will be fine on power anyway, and I find myself wanting to drop him already. My rationale for drafting him was simply that if by some chance the change of scenery could give him a modest boost (particularly in average) that he could easily be worth the $4 I spent on him. Yeah, he's walking, but considering he's likely to be a batting average liability even in a best case scenario, I'm all too close to bailing on my relatively small investment. Every season you hope certain players can wipe the slate clean and reinvent some aspect of their game, but this looks like the same old Pena. I'm going to give him about another week to show me something, but that's about it.

FWIW, he's been battling a thumb injury.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -120)
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:28 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I know I'm guilty of a huge knee jerk here, but I already have palpable buyer's remorse on Carlos Pena. It looks like my team will be fine on power anyway, and I find myself wanting to drop him already. My rationale for drafting him was simply that if by some chance the change of scenery could give him a modest boost (particularly in average) that he could easily be worth the $4 I spent on him. Yeah, he's walking, but considering he's likely to be a batting average liability even in a best case scenario, I'm all too close to bailing on my relatively small investment. Every season you hope certain players can wipe the slate clean and reinvent some aspect of their game, but this looks like the same old Pena. I'm going to give him about another week to show me something, but that's about it.

FWIW, he's been battling a thumb injury.

Yeah I know, and it's fair enough. I'm just not sure what his upside is, becaus if it includes a ~.225 batting average, he can go 40/110 and still hurt any team that is already likely to be top 3 in both power categories. Like I said, I'll give him a week to get over the thumb injury. Then somebody like Moreland or Ka'aihue will go on a hot streak and give me a tough roster decision. Of course when I drop him, he'll promptly hit 2 three run jacks the next game.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:51 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:I have already changed my mind about Dice-K three times today.

If you're not willing to start him against Tampa, who can't hit the broad side of a barn right now, who can you start him against? Might as well dump him in that case. BaseballMonster has Tampa as an easier start for pitchers right now even than Seattle, Minnesota, Atlanta, Oakland, and Houston.

Ok. I'm convinced. And I'm in last place, so I have no reason not to gamble. B-)

I guess this is the part where I apologize? :-o Safe to drop him, I suppose...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers