Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Pitching Staff

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who has the best pitching staff in baseball?

Chicago Cubs
40
58%
Houston AStros
10
14%
Oakland Athletics
6
9%
Boston Red Sox
13
19%
 
Total votes : 69

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:51 pm

bucsfan04 wrote:
Comp625 wrote:
#1 Starters:
1) Pedro Martinez - BOS - Once he gets his arm back up to full strength, he will continue to reign terror into the eyes of AL batters. He's only had the lowest ERA for the last couple years... ;-D
2) Mike Mussina - NYY - He's a proven pitcher with many years of experience under his belt. He's always been a durable and dependable pitcher too. Always puts up good stats.
3) Kerry Wood - CHC - No one can deny that Wood has nasty stuff. He's always been a 200K+ guy and led the MLB in Strikeouts last year. The best and worst part is, he's still young and everyone predicts doom and gloom for Wood because of how he just appeared on the cover of SI and how Dusty Baker is ruining his arm by keeping him in games too long.
4) Tim Hudson - OAK - Another damn good pitcher with nasty stuff. He plays in a pitcher friendly ballpark too. The offense behind him sucks though...that may be his biggest drawback.
5) Roy Oswalt - HOU - Despite last year's injury-laden season, he's still a damn good young pitcher. He's just not as good as Wood or Prior in the dominating young-pitchers category. But he's got All-Star stuff.


How can you rank Hudson 4th! If not for blown saves, he would have had 20 wins last year, along with a 2.70 ERA, 162 SOs, a 1.08 WHIP, and a .223 BA against.

easy because pedro, moose and wood are better than hudson.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6410
(Past Year: -16)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:56 pm

blankman wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:My point was this "notch" idea that you have--you have to take into consideration the difference between players, and not just give it a plus one per "win". Anyway...


How is saying that Schilling is only one notch better than Brown, but Vaz is 2 notches better than Lowe not considering difference between players? I don't follow what you are saying. I'm not simply saying one player is better than the other, but how much better he is than the other.


As far as I know, you did this analysis after I brought up the issue.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7088
(Past Year: -93)
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby baseballchick123 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:33 pm

thetongueofire wrote: wow ! ure making a lot of assumptions there buddy-

1.) Mussina's ability is nearly equal to Pedro - LoL...
2.) Kevin Brown, when healthy is a notch below Schilling
3.) Vazques is way better than Lowe. how? just because hes on the Yankees...
4.) Contereras is better than Kim when Conteras has never proven himself in the majors- both Contreras and Kim have something to prove this year as starters.
5.) Lieber (who hasnt thrown a pitch in the majors in two years) is better than Wakefield whos been pretty consistant for the past three years.

way too many ???? for me to buy into this whole comparision thing of yours


lol? Mussina's ability IS close to pedros if not equal at times (we all remem the 8 2/3 perfect innings he threw against the Red Sox)

Over the past three years they've played here are their stats: (averages) (pedro only started 18 in '01, so averaged 03, 02, and 00)
Wins:Mussina= 17.3 Pedro= 17.3
ERA: Mussina= 3.67 Pedro= 2.07
IP: Mussina= 219.2 Pedro= 200.7
Ks: Mussina= 197 Pedro= 243 (average of last 2 years is 222.5)
WHIP: Mussina= 1.1 Pedro= .97

As you can see, you may say "lol" but their stats are fairly similar, and since im not a stubborn yankees fan i can readily admit that Pedro is better, but you must also take into factor thatv Mussina is a gold-golve fielder, less prone to injury, and provides more innings per start. Obviously you are so caught up in this yanks sox rivalry thing that you cannot admit that vasquez is better than lowe. Thats fine too, ur opinion means nothing.
For those of you who say WOW! look at the K difference...mussina averaged an allowed 97 runs, and pedro allowed ...its the whip that matters, not the Ks

:-° 8-o :*) B-) :-°
"I am free of ALL prejudices, I hate everyone equally." -WC Fields
baseballchick123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 63
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Defouling Ted Williams "Ice Box"

Postby bucsfan04 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:05 am

blankman wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:The question was pitching staff and not starting rotation.

The red sox because of a good rotation, good bullpen and proven closer.

The cubs have a better rotation and I like Hawkins but Borowski still has something to prove.


If you're going to put it that way...

Yankees have the better rotation or for arguements sake lets say they're equal
Moose < Pedro On any given day Moose can and has outpitched Pedro
Brown < Schilling A healthy Brown is nearly on-par with Schilling
Vazquez >>Lowe Vaz is by far the better pitcher
Contreras > Wakefield Contreras has much better upside and Wakefield has never been that good
Lieber > Kim I'd take a healthy Lieber over Kim anyday


No way lieber is better than kim, and wakefield is much better than contreras, who has yet to prove himself. Also, a helthy Brown is not nearly on par with schilling.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 660
(Past Year: -27)
Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby freebie » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:09 pm

this is fantasy baseball chat tongue...feilding doesnt make a diff unless u have a feilding category in your league X-I
freebie


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Pokey » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:54 pm

fielding matters when you have a ground ball pitcher...
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1140
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vermont

Postby josebach » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:48 pm

bucsfan04 wrote:None of the teams have a proven 5th SP.


Uh, anyone ever hear of a guy named Maddux? He's their 5th.

1) Cubs
2) A's
3) Houston
4) Yankees
5) Bo Sox
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2033
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby bucsfan04 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:39 pm

josebach wrote:
bucsfan04 wrote:None of the teams have a proven 5th SP.


Uh, anyone ever hear of a guy named Maddux? He's their 5th.

1) Cubs
2) A's
3) Houston
4) Yankees
5) Bo Sox


I thought Clement was their 5th.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 660
(Past Year: -27)
Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:05 pm

bucsfan04 wrote:
blankman wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:The question was pitching staff and not starting rotation.

The red sox because of a good rotation, good bullpen and proven closer.

The cubs have a better rotation and I like Hawkins but Borowski still has something to prove.


If you're going to put it that way...

Yankees have the better rotation or for arguements sake lets say they're equal
Moose < Pedro On any given day Moose can and has outpitched Pedro
Brown < Schilling A healthy Brown is nearly on-par with Schilling
Vazquez >>Lowe Vaz is by far the better pitcher
Contreras > Wakefield Contreras has much better upside and Wakefield has never been that good
Lieber > Kim I'd take a healthy Lieber over Kim anyday


No way lieber is better than kim, and wakefield is much better than contreras, who has yet to prove himself. Also, a helthy Brown is not nearly on par with schilling.


Ok, thats your opinion. Mine is different.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10559
(Past Year: -211)
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:08 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
blankman wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:My point was this "notch" idea that you have--you have to take into consideration the difference between players, and not just give it a plus one per "win". Anyway...


How is saying that Schilling is only one notch better than Brown, but Vaz is 2 notches better than Lowe not considering difference between players? I don't follow what you are saying. I'm not simply saying one player is better than the other, but how much better he is than the other.


As far as I know, you did this analysis after I brought up the issue.


ok...... :-?

I originally used > and <, with the amount of greater than/less than signs determining the magnitude of the difference, and then resorted to notches to make it easier to understand and more obvious.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10559
(Past Year: -211)
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

cron