Return to Baseball Leftovers

8 team leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8 team leagues

Postby agchris02 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:52 am

Eight team leagues..... the joke of fantasy baseball, there is no skill involved and it amounts to pure luck, i choke every time I see a question in this forum:

My starting pitchers are Mussina, Hudson, Brown, Schilling, Halliday, Santana, and Beckett -- who should I trade for..

yet no one in this forum answers:
NO ONE, HAPPILY WIN YOUR LEAGUE

Or:
Is barry bonds worth trading for todd helton, my other first basemen are Pujols and Delgado....seriously

Sorry for griping, i was reading over trades and saw waaaayyyy to many questions like that -- why?
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby inkubus » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:00 am

'cause people like to make their teams better? O:-)
Last edited by inkubus on Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -3)

hmm...

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:00 am

dunno.
I'm in a 7 team league. It's basically a bunch of friends... it used to be bigger but some people didn't have time, etc. To make up for people leaving I've made the rosters larger and toyed with the idea of making it single league, just to keep things competitive.

It is true that pretty much all teams have lots of superstars, but because of the 30 man rosters (starting 27) there are enough managerial decisions required to keep interest and actually make a difference.

I agree though... 8 team leagues with basic 9 starters and 5 pitchers is ok, but people take it too seriously when they ask silly questions.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Re: 8 team leagues

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:27 am

agchris02 wrote:Eight team leagues..... the joke of fantasy baseball, there is no skill involved and it amounts to pure luck, i choke every time I see a question in this forum:

Funny, but i have played 8 teamers for quite awhile, 17 teamers too, and i must say, 90% of the time, the top players win, or finish 1-2. Is that luck? The skill of the player, and of the league, in reality dictates things, not the # of teams.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Spartans Rule » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:41 am

There's still skill in eight team leagues. They require less depth in your knowledge of players because fewer players are used. But its still competition, you still have to draft the right guys, make the right pickups and trades, and manage your lineup the best to win.

I prefer larger leagues because I like to learn about more players. But there's nothing at all wrong with those who choose to play smaller leagues.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quickfingerz » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:42 am

small leagues: draft pitching early

i'd be willing to go with 6 straight SP's

This is because the likely best pitcher in baseball will fall somwhere in the first 50 picks. It happens every year. After that, there are very few pitchers that come out of nowhere and win 20 games with 200K and a low ERA.

Yet, after pick 50ish you'll still have more than enough offense to even finish in first place.

Last season I had: P. Martinez, R. Halladay, K. Brown, M. Prior, E. Gagne, M. Rivera then was able to grab Delgado, P. Wilson, E. Renteria... and finished to a very easy first place
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers