Who will be getting the AB's now?
FrostbiteFalls
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Adams or Matt Carpenter

Postby hondo4mvp » Mon May 21, 2012 8:59 am

FrostbiteFalls wrote:Who will be getting the AB's now?

And what happens when Craig comes back? This has all the makings of a classic LaRussian Fantasy F***job.He may be gone,but his spirit remains.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 am

Adams was absolutely raking in AAA and Carpenter has been ice cold since a nice start. Adams is considered the future at the 1B position for the Cardinals and I wouldn't figure they would call him up just to be a utility player. I'd take a chance on Adams, though the situation is definitely uncertain at the moment.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby HighHeater » Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 am

Matt Adams is a top prospect, and the future at 1B for the redbirds... i find it very doubtful he doesn't get at bats with the call up. If he doesn't hit they can always send him back down to not risk stunting his growth.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 21, 2012 9:53 am

Berkan looks to be done. he gone.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Lance Berkman has a torn right ACL.
Berkman is undergoing an MRI in St. Louis on Monday to ensure that the diagnosis is correct. It's a tough blow to the Cardinals, who gave the 36-year-old first baseman a one-year, $12 million contract late last year. And it's also a tough blow for Berkman himself, as he may be forced into an early retirement. Matt Adams has taken over at first base for the defending World Series champs.

Matt Adams should be 1st from here out for the rest of the season.

I came here to make a thread on Adams, wondering what are the expectations.
he is one of the better Cardinals prospects.
he's 23 years old, 24 in August.
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=1B

this year at AAA..
37 games, 141 AB - .340 AVG/ .375 OBP/ .603 SLG/ .978 OPS/ 9 HR/ 27 RBI/ 20 R
last year at AA..
115 games, 463 - .300 AVG/ .357 OBP/ .566 SLG/ .923 OPS/ 32 HR/ 101 RBI/ 80 R

anyone think Adams can pull off a Ryan Braun from his rookie season? or maybe an Evan Longoria from his rookie season?

I'm so excited, I just picked up Adams as a free agent. although yahoo must have made a mistake, they say he plays for Texas, and that he's a relief pitcher. silly yahoo, they be fools.
..oh (mod edit) , that's not the right Adams, someone else has Matt Adams. I guess I'm stupid.
Last edited by SpecialFNK on Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby wazzeus » Mon May 21, 2012 10:13 am

hondo4mvp wrote:
FrostbiteFalls wrote: And what happens when Craig comes back? This has all the makings of a classic LaRussian Fantasy F***job.He may be gone,but his spirit remains.

Indeed. It's hard to imagine Allen Craig not playing 1B when he gets back, if only to spare his hamstring. Adams struggles against lefties, so I could see Adams getting all the AB's against righties, with lefties going to Craig.

I don't think we'll see Carpenter playing 1B anymore. Like Adams, he's a lefty hitter. Expect to see Carpenter 3-4 times a week -- at OF or spelling Freese at 3B a couple of times a week -- until Craig or Jay is back. Carpenter is really effed then, and possibly minors-bound until another injury comes along.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 am

wazzeus wrote:
hondo4mvp wrote:
FrostbiteFalls wrote: And what happens when Craig comes back? This has all the makings of a classic LaRussian Fantasy F***job.He may be gone,but his spirit remains.

Indeed. It's hard to imagine Allen Craig not playing 1B when he gets back, if only to spare his hamstring. Adams struggles against lefties, so I could see Adams getting all the AB's against righties, with lefties going to Craig.

I don't think we'll see Carpenter playing 1B anymore. Like Adams, he's a lefty hitter. Expect to see Carpenter 3-4 times a week -- at OF or spelling Freese at 3B a couple of times a week -- until Craig or Jay is back. Carpenter is really effed then, and possibly minors-bound until another injury comes along.

I think if the Cardinals thought Allan Craig would play 1B when he comes back off the DL then Adams would not have gotten the call, and Carpenter would be playing 1B. calling up the 1B of the future tells me that he (Adams) will be given the opportunity to play 1B on a regular basis.
what has Craig done anyway to deserve full playing time? don't expect his hitting to continue, he has .400 BABIP this season and he had .344 BABIP last season. plus I would imagine it's just a matter of time before he gets hurt again.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby AHF » Mon May 21, 2012 11:12 am

What is Adams' upside? I saw that he didn't make Keith Law's top 100 prospect list and was 69th on the Prospectus list. Prospectus projects him at 24 homers and a high .260 average in his prime.

That said, I could use a 1B with Hosmer and Belt currently my only options.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby HighHeater » Mon May 21, 2012 11:19 am

AHF wrote:What is Adams' upside? I saw that he didn't make Keith Law's top 100 prospect list and was 69th on the Prospectus list. Prospectus projects him at 24 homers and a high .260 average in his prime.

That said, I could use a 1B with Hosmer and Belt currently my only options.

Sickles had him on his as well as a few others... hes a projected power hitter with possibly having a lofty average... i dont think hes a .300 hitter like his minor stats suggest but i do think he can be a 30/.280 type, he has massive power with very good bat speed for a man his size.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:39 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
wazzeus wrote:
hondo4mvp wrote:

I think if the Cardinals thought Allan Craig would play 1B when he comes back off the DL then Adams would not have gotten the call, and Carpenter would be playing 1B. calling up the 1B of the future tells me that he (Adams) will be given the opportunity to play 1B on a regular basis.
what has Craig done anyway to deserve full playing time? don't expect his hitting to continue, he has .400 BABIP this season and he had .344 BABIP last season. plus I would imagine it's just a matter of time before he gets hurt again.

I respect your opinion on this board but I don't think that's an accurate evaluation of the Craig situation. He's easily one of their top 2-3 hitters and will absolutely be seeing full PT with the news about Berkman. Now Craig's ability to remain healthy is a whole other question, but the guy hit .300+ with 11 HR in less than 200 AB last year, was one of their hottest hitters in last year's post season, and was raking in his time this year and also hitting 4th. A guy like that is going to see regular AB's one way or the other.

Unless they want to use Beltran in CF (which they haven't shown the willingness to do), I think once Craig returns he will see the majority of at bats at 1B with Adams seeing time there when Craig fills in for a Beltran/Holliday off day in the OF. I agree though that if Adams isn't seeing 3-4 starts per week somehow (injury to Beltran, Holliday or Craig) that he'll probably be sent back down to get full time AB's.

I'm not saying they won't find Adam's some at bat's somehow, but Craig absolutely plays upon his return.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers