Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Adams or Matt Carpenter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt Adams or Matt Carpenter

Postby Skin Blues » Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm

It's only one option per year no matter how much they send him back and forth. For a guy like him, the amount of options likely means nothing unless he totally flops four seasons in a row. So it doesn't mean they're committed for the whole season, it could just be 2 weeks for now while Craig is out, and then have him as a contingency plan for later in the season if/when Holliday/Beltran/Craig get injured again.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 pm

things might not be so bad for Berkman, and this could change things.

@BJRains
Sports writer for FOXSportsMidwest.com. My thoughts and comments are my personal opinion and in no way reflect the view or opinion of Fox Sports Midwest
Mozeliak says Berkman has meniscus tear. Getting a second opinion later in the week. No ACL tear found today. Possibly only 6-8 weeks now.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby bayside » Mon May 21, 2012 6:33 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:maybe part of my thinking is because I personally feel Allan Craig is overrated this season. he's not as good as the numbers he has this season.

well thats pretty obvious.
nobody anywhere expected him to continue the 60+ HR, 200 RBI, .375 pace he was on over an entire season.

but the fact is that hes one of the Cards 4 best hitters, so he WILL play every day as long as hes healthy.
And like several people have mentioned, what the Cards plan to do with Adams 3 weeks form now has no bearing on Craig's future PT at first base. They need a body NOW so they called him up. You realize they can bring Adams (or Carpenter) up and send Adams back down pretty much as often as they like, right? No reason they wont move one of those 2 down when Craig returns.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Element » Mon May 21, 2012 6:34 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:things might not be so bad for Berkman, and this could change things.

@BJRains
Sports writer for FOXSportsMidwest.com. My thoughts and comments are my personal opinion and in no way reflect the view or opinion of Fox Sports Midwest
Mozeliak says Berkman has meniscus tear. Getting a second opinion later in the week. No ACL tear found today. Possibly only 6-8 weeks now.

Of course this comes out after I dumped him in most leagues. That's what I get for growing impatient I guess.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 21, 2012 6:45 pm

bayside wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:maybe part of my thinking is because I personally feel Allan Craig is overrated this season. he's not as good as the numbers he has this season.

nobody anywhere expected him to continue the 60+ HR, 200 RBI, .375 pace he was on over an entire season.

but the fact is that hes one of the Cards 4 best hitters, so he WILL play every day as long as hes healthy.
And like several people have mentioned, what the Cards plan to do with Adams 3 weeks form now has no bearing on Craig's future PT at first base. They need a body NOW so they called him up. You realize they can bring Adams (or Carpenter) up and send Adams back down pretty much as often as they like, right? No reason they wont move one of those 2 down when Craig returns.

the Berkman news changed things, but.. what if over the next 13 games (Craig's games this season) Matt Adams is hitting on the level that Allan Craig was hitting at, with numbers around 19 hits, 5 HR, 19 RBI. then what? at that point then Adams will have to play too. he also could be one of the Cardinals better hitters. he was on an incredible pace at AAA, so it's not a stretch to think he can't do that. he has just as much offensive potential as Craig does.
lets not start thinking Allan Craig is some superstar who WILL put up great numbers just because he had a hot stretch over 13 games.
maybe one way to keep Craig healthy is to NOT play him every day.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Berkman not as optimistic?
Lance Berkman indicated Monday that he still thinks there could be some damage to the ACL in his right knee.
An MRI on Monday showed no evidence of an ACL tear, but Berkman said he is "not as optimistic" as the team. We should have more clarity on the situation after he gets a second opinion later this week. Berkman has a torn meniscus at the very least, which is expected to keep him out of action for 6-8 weeks. Stay tuned.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:36 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
bayside wrote:

the Berkman news changed things, but.. what if over the next 13 games (Craig's games this season) Matt Adams is hitting on the level that Allan Craig was hitting at, with numbers around 19 hits, 5 HR, 19 RBI. then what? at that point then Adams will have to play too. he also could be one of the Cardinals better hitters. he was on an incredible pace at AAA, so it's not a stretch to think he can't do that. he has just as much offensive potential as Craig does.
lets not start thinking Allan Craig is some superstar who WILL put up great numbers just because he had a hot stretch over 13 games.

That's a pretty far fetched "IF" there for Adams. Sure, if anyone all of a sudden starts going berzerk it's going to be hard to sit him or send him down, but pretty slim chance Adams tears it up at that 5 HR, 19 RBI pace.

I think you're also discounting Craig a bit by making it seem like the 13 games from this year is all the time he's seen in big leagues. He hit .315 with 11 HR in over 200 AB last season, and was also their 2nd most valuable hitter last year in the playoffs behind Freese. The guy is quite simply at this point their 2nd best hitter IMO. He's their 4th hitter and a big time run producer.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Maris09 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:
bayside wrote:well thats pretty obvious.

That's a pretty far fetched "IF" there for Adams. Sure, if anyone all of a sudden starts going berzerk it's going to be hard to sit him or send him down, but pretty slim chance Adams tears it up at that 5 HR, 19 RBI pace.

I think you're also discounting Craig a bit by making it seem like the 13 games from this year is all the time he's seen in big leagues. He hit .315 with 11 HR in over 200 AB last season, and was also their 2nd most valuable hitter last year in the playoffs behind Freese. The guy is quite simply at this point their 2nd best hitter IMO. He's their 4th hitter and a big time run producer.

someone could have said the exact same thing for Craig over a 13 game stretch, yet that's what he did.

what a player does in the playoffs really doesn't mean that's what they are. I remember a time when Blue Jays catcher Pat Boarders was World Series MVP, but he wasn't an MVP type offensive player at all.
early last year Craig wasn't a starter. early last year what would have made people think that Craig could do what he ended up doing last season?

Adams has higher career numbers in the minors than Craig does.
Craig- 524/1975 - .308/.369/.518/.888
Adams- 336/1313 - .318/.367/.558/.924

if Craig could have the numbers he had this season and last season, why not Adams?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Could, could, could....sure. But we've seen it from Craig.
We've seen it over a decent # of at bats last year, and in the pressure cooker of the playoffs and world series. Forget the numbers, the guy just has great at bats and is great at driving guys in.

Look I'm rooting for Adams, picked him up in a few leagues. But in my opinion Craig is a pretty special hitter, and as long as he can stay healthy he's a force STL can't afford to have out of the lineup.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm

it might be a big IF to whether Adams can hit on the level of Craig, but it's also a big IF to whether Craig can stay healthy. he's shown he can hit, but he's also shown he can't stay healthy.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers