Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jumping to conclusions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jumping to conclusions

Postby Danimal » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:31 pm

I'm guilty of it too, but geez, so many issues, so many worries. And it's only the second night of action. The one thing I've learned in three years in fantasy land is not to make rash assessments and/moves in the first few weeks.
Any thoughts?
(This isn't to suggest I don't like the intensity or banter around here. This place is a hoot).
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jumping to conclusions

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:38 pm

Danimal wrote: is not to make rash assessments and/moves in the first few weeks.
Any thoughts?

I agree....don't hit the panic button just yet....it is only the first couple of games of the season....I mean, really who thinks Glaus is gonna bat .400 for the season... :-b [/img]
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby LouisC9999 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:52 am

That is the most important lesson I've learned in three years of playing fantasy baseball--PATIENCE.

I can't tell you how many times I've dropped someone early in the season only to be asking myself "How could I have dropped that guy??!!!" as that player is 'tearing it up' in the second half of the season.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:46 am

4 weeks is a good rule of thumb for me. Then I panic. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby thetruth » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:35 am

lol. this thread reminds me of the guy from office space and his mat.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:29 am

I almost never make any significant deals until after May 15th. Right now I only finetune my draft. It's crazy how some people overreact to early season events.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:58 am

Theres so many blockbuster deals in my league already. There was a giles for chavez trade, and Halladay for sosa. Way too early for me to be trading top players. I was offered Derek Lee for Vladimir Guerrero. Ummm, no. :-D . Ill start hitting panic buttons in may.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:15 am

There haven't really been any blockbusters in our league as we did an early draft and most people seem to be in the 'well, I want to see how they do before I deal them' frame of mind. I have fiddled w/ the same couple of guys for a while though, Herges, Riske, Rhodes, Lugo, Crosby and Burroughs have all been on and off and stuffed into the same 5 slots.

None of those moves are really major moves either but every little bit counts. I need some more pitching though...maybe Jason Johnson? Not enough K though, perhaps Park? His record sucks though...hmmmmm
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Re: Jumping to conclusions

Postby KPucks » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:15 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:
I agree....don't hit the panic button just yet....it is only the first couple of games of the season....I mean, really who thinks Glaus is gonna bat .400 for the season... :-b

He better. :-D

I dont like to makr big moves until May.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -33)

Postby intense » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:01 am

AcidRock23 wrote:There haven't really been any blockbusters in our league as we did an early draft and most people seem to be in the 'well, I want to see how they do before I deal them' frame of mind. I have fiddled w/ the same couple of guys for a while though, Herges, Riske, Rhodes, Lugo, Crosby and Burroughs have all been on and off and stuffed into the same 5 slots.

None of those moves are really major moves either but every little bit counts. I need some more pitching though...maybe Jason Johnson? Not enough K though, perhaps Park? His record sucks though...hmmmmm

I am in the same boat as you. I grabbed Park off FA this morning... Im not so sure about Johnson... I just need to fill up innings cause I have 1700 to make and there was no one i'd make it with Prior out for a while and only 4 other starters.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers