Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I in the wrong

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby perlick29 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:20 pm

well, to paraphrase Bobby Brown: That's your perogative-(probably spelled wrong) If you want to have fun, have fun- if you play for the big bucks, well then that's a different story I suppose.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ponson's poor toilet » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:28 pm

I'd love you in my league. I hate no fun freaks.
ponson's poor toilet
College Coach
College Coach

Yeah

Postby JOEG » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:32 pm

about 9 people in my league are fun and throw fair trade offers back and forth, then theres 3 penny pichers who sit and observe the board and offer everyone a complete rip off just hoping someone is either really drunk or pushes the wrong button and when it gets countered just answers with a No and goes back to its "strategy" i mean not posting sh it, those people suck and i am glad i am the a$$ that makes fun of them
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:33 pm

I agree it was a ridiculous offer.

Making the offer public was a bad move and could cost you in the end though. Letting him know privately that you don't appreciate him attempting to lowball you would have been a better start.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby zEli173 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:39 pm

perlick29 wrote:wow, thats a first ZeLi! your league must not be serious beacuse that is a bad strategical move.

Actually, my league is extremely serious. Way beyond the point of healthy. Maybe the rest of you don't play in leagues with people you know, but we're not all exactly best friends anyway.

I don't see what JOEG risks loosing, a Beltre for Beltran offer perhaps. What his commish is offering him can't be considered negotiations, it's not a serious offer and doesn't deserve to be treated that way. There are a couple guys I play with that are notorious for making these sort of offers and they often get called out on them. It's not a good negotiating technique on their part and making fun of them is probably a good deterent. And it's never stopped me from making a trade with any of those guys when they want to seriously consider giving up some value.

Also, there are people in my league that prefer to negotiate through the message board. I don't like to do things that way, but the best trader in my league makes a practice of it. The results are impressive. A little press can help close a deal.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:39 pm

ramble2 wrote:That offer was no good, but remember that trading is a process. Initial offers sometimes are just ways to start a dialogue. Unless you've been getting barraged by crappy offers from this guy, publicly posting it is a bad idea.

I completely agree, Ramble.

Look, you shouldn't have called him out. It just doesn't help. I throw offers on the table a lot, but I don't make my best offer immediately. I start high and tell them I'm open to working on it. If they throw it back at me, I won't deal with them. Perhaps this is his mindset, perhaps not.

I'm constantly amazed at how trades are percieved by people. It's largely because of different perceptions of players--some say Wells is going to suffer this year (based on a bad second half), and some love him. So my point?: A trade that looks foolish to you may make sense to him. He may view players differently.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby Dice » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:24 pm

I'm a low key, fly below the radar type player. I know who the jerks in the league are, and I don't trade with them unless I think I've got them screwed. And that applies to past history (previous seasons). I'll let the others pick the fights and make enemies. If I need to get a pitcher, I go to people who've shown to be decent players first.

Banter is fine, but being a jerk might cost you. It's good that they're in the league for entertainment value, but if I were to somehow help them win a league I'd hate myself for it.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:36 pm

yea it was a great idea, except now no one will even offer you close low ball offers. I would mock you on the boards and try and freeze you out.

Sometimes it is better to play a little dumb and maybe give up (seemingly) more than you have to, so you get seen as an easy guy to deal with. people let their guard down.
NO ONE lets their guard down with the skinflint.

if you are gonna be a skinflint, you gotta occasionally be generous to keep people guessing and dealing with you.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:39 pm

yea it was a great idea, except now no one will even offer you close low ball offers. I would mock you on the boards and try and freeze you out.

Sometimes it is better to play a little dumb and maybe give up (seemingly) more than you have to, so you get seen as an easy guy to deal with. people let their guard down.
NO ONE lets their guard down with the skinflint.

if you are gonna be a skinflint, you gotta occasionally be generous to keep people guessing and dealing with you.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers