Return to Baseball Leftovers

How early before we grab Jeff Weaver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How early before we grab Jeff Weaver?

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:44 am

7 innings, eight hits, one walk, 1 ER, 1.29 ERA.

Not too shabby. He'll love Chavez.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:57 am

mmmm, im gonna wait til the baseball world tips back up the right way, where the aces start throwing 3 hits games, closers get their whips below 3.00, sluggers dont go 0 for, and the tigers start losing a little bit at least. so then and only then will i look at grabbing weaver :-) cuz when the baseball world returns to the right state, rightfully he should get roped! ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:03 am

RynMan wrote:mmmm, im gonna wait til the baseball world tips back up the right way, where the aces start throwing 3 hits games, closers get their whips below 3.00, sluggers dont go 0 for, and the tigers start losing a little bit at least. so then and only then will i look at grabbing weaver :-) cuz when the baseball world returns to the right state, rightfully he should get roped! ;-D

Remember, Weaver was a very good pitcher, but just never got it together under the lights in NY. You put him in a great pitchers park with no spotlight an he could excell. He did pretty well against a tough Padre lineup.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:09 am

you are right there. i agree totally, that is a nice lineup that he shut down. but im gonna sit out the craziness thats been going on lately just to be sure its not part of the circus :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:12 am

RynMan wrote:you are right there. i agree totally, that is a nice lineup that he shut down. but im gonna sit out the craziness thats been going on lately just to be sure its not part of the circus :-)

Point taken. Just keep him on your radar.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby orangecrushv » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:44 am

He was actually drafted in 2 of my 3 leagues, people were already wishing he could turn it around in LA...

-Rich
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:06 am

He did have some very nice games in NY, once in a while. He's got great stuff--you gotta love those lanky pitchers, they can really wing it in there. Unit, Brown, Jeff Nelson--weaver's got the same body type.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:13 am

What I dont understand, is that he has really only had one half of a good yr - 2002 before he went to NY. Before that yr he never had an ERA under 4 and his lowest WHIP was 1.28. His k/9 rate is average at best. Thats not really all that impressive.

Dont get me wrong - I am a fan of his just because of his DET ties - I mean, if not for him we wouldnt have Pena.

But, the point is, he really hasent put up such great numbers as to warrant much fantasy consideration in the past. Maybe he will have a career yr now that hes happier in pitcher friendly LA.

I just wanted to temper expectations a bit.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rippz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:10 pm

This is the way I look at it and some of you might want to consider this as well.

-Weaver is still rather young, he is only 27.

-He moves to L.A which is not only the best place to pitch but
Weaver has drempt of pitching there his whole life.

-His family lives there.( 24 friends and family members attended his start last night)

-Weaver reminds me very much of Schmidt. Schmidt sucked ass for Pitt but always had potential. He gets traded to San Fran and does well. Now he is loved by everyone and his 8 terrible seasons prior to joining the Giants are amazingly washed away.

-Weaver can very well do the same with the move to L.A.

-The Dodgers will more than likely trade a pitcher away for another bat which would make there line up include Green Bradley Encar Beltre Loney and the bat they aquire for a pitcher. That isnt half bad if Beltre finally breaks out.

Just watch him become the ace he was suposed to be.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby canibus » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:55 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
RynMan wrote:you are right there. i agree totally, that is a nice lineup that he shut down. but im gonna sit out the craziness thats been going on lately just to be sure its not part of the circus :-)

Point taken. Just keep him on your radar.

Yeah. He's been on my radar since I started drafting a month ago. So after his nice start, and although it is still early/ a circus he is a good choice if you want to take a chance on him as your 5th/6th starter IMO. In a deep league move him up a spot.

He has been taken in very few leagues I'm in....so far.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers