Return to Baseball Leftovers

How early before we grab Jeff Weaver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KULCAT » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:29 pm

he still allowed 8 hits, id wait for at the very least a more dominant start
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HollywoodHershiserz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:13 pm

I'd wait a couple of games before snagging him...wish I could get his brother already, supposed to be the #1 pick in the next draft (pitches for Long Beach State).
JD Drew: 2006 NL MVP
HollywoodHershiserz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:31 pm

In one league, I picked him up in the 7th inning last night. I think I dropped Ainsworth. I figured the gamble was similar, and Weaver was making some Padre hitters look silly. Nevin tossed his bat out to the SS on two differnt AB's last night trying to hit the guy. Weaver looked even better than that line showed. Apparently he has spent the offseon learning a new pitch from his brother. His brother is expected to be the number one overall pick this summer.

Happy to be home .
New Pitch
Extreme pitchers park ....

I'll take the chance. Let somebody else gamble on Ainsworth. I know its one start, but the risks seemded similar
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Yeah, Weaver's on my watch list. I've got Harden and Myers on my bench, Weaver is in the FA pool, I'm definitely keeping an eye on him. Plus Edwin Jackson is still floating, and we'll see what happens with Burnett once he's back....a lot could happen.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby bunbury » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:10 pm

was at the game last night; i was lucky enough to score second row, just to the left of home. I watched weaver closely, not just because Im a dodger fun but also for fantasy purpose of course. ;-D . I agree with the person that said he would wait for a more dominant start. 8 hits, and all of them ropes. His fastball wasnt dominant, compared to the other guys that threw last night. dont get me wrong, I bleed blue and would love for him to have a great year but I would wait as well. Everybody around us was surprised he went out to pitch the last inning; he didnt look extremely sharp. Then again, it was a nice padre lineup and he only gave up one hit so he has to be doing something right. that being said, i would wait for a solid outing...then I will pick him up.
bunbury Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:17 pm

i did pick him up... right after i finished drafting ;-)

obviously id wait for a more dominant start to start him against some of the bigger boys and in the good hitters parks. but im in a pretty deep league so i guess it kinda made more sense for me. peeps who're in more shallow league should prolly wait a lil longer- but definitely he should be one of the players you're watching.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers