Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Catcher in the game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Catcher in the game

Postby BabyBoomer » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:54 pm

It has to be piazza. The guy is amazing. Unlike other guys who hit well but seem to be on steroids, he has always been the same way and i consider him one of the strongest baseball player. He doesnt even use his legs when hitting. Its all upper body power.

I just got him in a trade which i gave up Varetek, M. Cabrera and Bernie William. I cant wait for his amazing season. Hope he stays healthy( He will trust me ;-D )
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:00 pm

I hear you, I'm a Met fan so I've been seeing it for years. One of his homers yesterday was so amazing because he looked so off balanced, but he's just so strong. I'm real excited, as a Met fan and Piazza owner. I took him pretty early in my draft. (like 5th or 6th round)
Last edited by Rirruto on Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:02 pm

If he stays healthy there is no doubt who the best offensive C in the game is. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby BabyBoomer » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:03 pm

The team will play better than yesterday. The pitching is going to improve and if they get all the run support they have been getting it might be a suprising season for them ;-D

Hope Yates is the real deal.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:03 pm

Best C in the game? Fantasy or MLB? Fantasywise, I agree with you - best pure hitter out there when healthy. Actual baseball - hes a defensive liability. Actual baseball, the nod has to go to Pudge.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BabyBoomer » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:09 pm

The only weakness piazza have is his throwing arm. He calls a better game than pudge, he blocks prettyt good, better RBI, Better HR, Better AVG, could soon be used as a first baseman in fantasy.

Dont tell me you would pick pudge over pizza for one season if you were creating a new team.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ponson's poor toilet » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:12 pm

Doesn't the best catcher actually have to be a good catcher, not a glorified DH who squats behind the plate?
ponson's poor toilet
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BabyBoomer » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:15 pm

Have you watch piazza play? He calls a beautiful game, he blocks the ball well, he communicates great with the player. The only problem is his throwing arm. He has a strong arm but he has to learn how to stop throwing it in the floor.

Last i heard pudge did not call that good of a game and had some problem two year ago with some pitchers.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby afromangettindrunk » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:15 pm

Pudge.

or Javy
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:15 pm

BabyBoomer wrote:The only weakness piazza have is his throwing arm. He calls a better game than pudge, he blocks prettyt good, better RBI, Better HR, Better AVG, could soon be used as a first baseman in fantasy.

Dont tell me you would pick pudge over pizza for one season if you were creating a new team.

Have to distinguish between real life and fantasy again.
In fantasy, of course, Piazza is my choice - no doubt.
If Im building a real major league team from the ground up, theres no way I take Piazza - in fact, Id have a real hard time taking Pudge too. Both are old and have a couple useful yrs left in them. There are some seriously good young guys coming through the majors right now, and from an owners perspective, Id rather have one of them.
If I had to choose one to help build a MLB team for this yr, Id go Pudge.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers