Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Next Loaiza is another White Sox...!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Next Loaiza is another White Sox...!

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:52 pm

Jon Garland. NO Its not because he shut down the yankees. That is a good feat though, but he had some nice stuff today. I think hes very underrated this year and that offense is going to keep producing, and hes going to win at least 17. I know this seems like im writing this just because of his start today, but im not, through spring training hes had great stuff and hes due for a breakout!
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Quaker » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:54 pm

7 walks in a game is a lot though, he better not make that a habit
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rippz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:54 pm

Umm..... 7 walks is all I have to say.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:56 pm

I can certainly understand the walks, you try pitching to that lineup! Theres no way you can pitch around almost any of them, so if it means walking them instead of giving them home run pitches, oh well! H ewont have to worry about that when he plays against the teams in the central division!
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mtarail » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 pm

Well. It sounds like you've convinced yourself....
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Hyde » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:01 pm

WhosBabeRuth wrote:I can certainly understand the walks, you try pitching to that lineup! Theres no way you can pitch around almost any of them, so if it means walking them instead of giving them home run pitches, oh well! H ewont have to worry about that when he plays against the teams in the central division!

Don't underestimate Bobby Higginson and Eric Munson. Those two will get to feast on Jon Garland pitching this yr :-D
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeffc_76 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:00 am

Having watched the entire game, I was not impressed. Even worse than the 7 walks was the fact that he continued to issue them after he was given bigger and bigger leads. The Yankees are simply not hitting well right now and they are making average pitching look good. Not saying that Garland can't have a good year but I wouldn't take much positive out of today's performance.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whitesox04champs » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:34 am

We have been waiting for garland to have a breakout year for 5 years now............

His situation is very comparable to adrian beltre's..........Potential,still young,can never put it all together.........

I have no opinion on how he does anymore, i just am happy with an under 4.50 era with him..............
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:47 am

AJ Burnett pitched a no-hitter with 9 walks, many people dismissed his performance because of the 9 walks. Some actually said the walks made that performance all the more impressive, as he was usually pitching with someone on base. Burnett turned in a damn fine season that year.

Obviously the walks are a small concern, but you can't dismiss his performance because he walked a few guys. If he continues to walk guys, yes it is a likely problem.

He isn't hitting my roster yet, but I wouldn't ignore him because he had 7 walsk.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Pedantic » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:18 am

DGroundhog wrote:Obviously the walks are a small concern, but you can't dismiss his performance because he walked a few guys. If he continues to walk guys, yes it is a likely problem.

I agree with the Braves hater. It was, after all, a career high. He probably won't always be walking seven every start.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers