Return to Baseball Leftovers

so i'm watcihng the cubs game and...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hyde » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:12 am

Why isn't Farnsworth the closer, he seems like he would love that role. He always seems intense out there on the mound, plus he can really bring some heat.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:12 am

It's a Cubs thing, they haven't had that type of closer since Randy Meyers. Just be glad its not Rod Beck.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Postby warrick95 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:29 am

Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again...Borowski doesn't have closer stuff. He's effective as a set-up man, but he doesn't have the fastball velocity to blow hitters away. You've gotta have that in your arsenal.

Hawkins is a better set-up man. I think Farnsworth is the best closer on the Cubs. How's Wellemeyer? I heard somewhere that he may have good stuff.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:55 am

Andy1234 wrote: Just be glad its not Rod Beck.

51 saves...and that is something to complain about... :-?

Hyde wrote:Why isn't Farnsworth the closer,

We have had Farney there before...not a good idea.... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:03 am

After seeing him fail with the Twins I'm not expecting LaTroylet to be a decent closer either. He's proven he can be a solid set-up man, but I'm not sold on him as a closer.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Re: so i'm watcihng the cubs game and...

Postby JoeSoCal » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:00 am

tal1286 wrote:when are we gonna get a closer who shuts out games and doesn't let the other team hang around. Oh wait, we have one and his name is latroy hawkins.

I think you need to do a little more research.
JoeSoCal
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:05 am

I like the idea of having Hawkins or Farnsworth when we need some outs with two men on base and it is the sixth inning, then arbitrarily saving the best reliever for the ninth with a three run lead. The closer role is all pychological. I'de rather have good firemen to get the outs when you need them the most. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a closer role, its just nice to have a solid reliever like JoeBo for only 2 million who gets the job done most of the time (converted both his oppurtunities so far, 33/37 last year) and not overpaying a closer.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Andy1234 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:09 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:
Andy1234 wrote: Just be glad its not Rod Beck.

51 saves...and that is something to complain about... :-?
I used Beck as an example because he always put the tying run on third before getting the save, the original poster was complaining how Borowski gave him a heart attack before he got the save. And I was pointing out that Beck did it much more frequent and everyone got much closer to death before the save. Although he was effective. But that wasn't the point.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers