Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Jose Guillen getting so much hype.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is Jose Guillen getting so much hype.....

Postby 4Pack » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:05 am

while Pat Burrell remains a FA in so many leagues? Looking at his career stats....to me it is very likely that Guillen had a "career" year last season and could very well be a one year wonder.

On the other hand...Burrell is still young and the chances that his bad season last year being a fluke is more likely.

I have Guillen on my roster right now (with Burrell on FA)....and am trying very hard to come up with a solid reason to believe Guillen will repeat last season's numbers. Truthfully...I cannot come up with one. They are both in solid lineups...but Burrell will bat anywhere from 3rd - 5th....while Guillen seems to be stuck in the 6-7th batting spot.

Help guys...give me a reason not to drop Guillen for Burrell!
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pete O » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 am

Guillen is also still relatively young and, though it may have been a career year, he posted those numbers with around 460 at bats. And Burrell can't hit .311 in his wildest dreams.
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 4Pack » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:55 am

Then again...Guillen's career high BA ( 9 seasons) was .274 before last season. Burrell's career high going into this season is .282. I would guess that most people would have said that the chance of Guillen batting .300 was pretty remote before last season.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:06 pm

Do not drop Guillen for Burrell. I am not high on Guillen, but he has a great position in a stacked line-up. He will get somewhere around .280/25/100 if he plays everyday. Burrell could do this with even a few more HRs, but there are a lot of people who think .250/25/90 is more likely, including myself.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers