Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly Minimum Innings Pitched

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weekly Minimum Innings Pitched

Postby Choptoberfest » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am

I've been running a league for a long time, close to 10 years now. It's not super serious, and we usually have to change a few guys in and out every year. I like to experiment with different scoring types to keep things fresh, so usually I'll change up the scoring system every few years.

Prior to this season, the weekly minimum IP requirement in order for your pitching stats to count was 10. This really devalued SP's and allowed several teams to basically spam with RPs, and punt W's and sometimes K's and have a guaranteed win in SV, ERA, WHIP. I'm not mad at anyone taking advantage of the rules, but this season I wanted to increase the minimum IP rule in order place more value back onto SP's and balance the rosters more.

Here is some more information about the league:

# of Teams: 12
Scoring: 5x5 H2H Each Category (OBP,HR,RBI,R,SB,W,K,SV,ERA,WHIP)
# of Pitchers: 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P
Lineup locks weekly

What would be a good number to change the minimum IP requirement to? I currently have it set at 35. But there has been some concern among some of the league that that figure is too high. My only concern since we have a weekly lineup lock, is a pitcher getting hurt mid week and causing an owner to miss the minimum innings requirement.
Choptoberfest
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Weekly Minimum Innings Pitched

Postby fast dogs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Injuries, rainouts, pitchers getting skipped, most SP only going between 5 & 6 innings I'd think you would want less than 35; especially in April & May. I'd think 25 would force most owners to start 5 SP most weeks. I don't suppose you could adjust it after the first month or so and the weather gets better
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Re: Weekly Minimum Innings Pitched

Postby Ray Zorback » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 pm

In one my leagues that uses holds and saves, I set it at 45. My thinking was 5 games a week times 9 innings per game. In hindsight, that’s probably too high.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 159)

Return to Baseball Leftovers