Return to Baseball Leftovers

Future of Sheffield / Bonds / Giambi (The Feds) w/ Seizure

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Future of Sheffield / Bonds / Giambi (The Feds) w/ Seizure

Postby ike301 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:21 pm

So it was reported that during a raid, various samples of drug tests were seized.

I mean, what kind of affect will this have on the players? I have Giambi AND I have a trade right on my table for Sheffy. Wondering if he's trying to pawn off trouble to me since he jumped on the trade so fast.

Am I missing any information? Thoughts?

Thanks guys!
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ike301 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:30 pm

no thoughts?
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:39 pm

I think it's far too early to know what ramifications this can have on the players. From what I understand they cannot be affected from a baseball perspective, i.e. being suspended. They can be charged with perjury and if anyone is, my guess is that they will make an example of that player(s) by prosecuting them during the season, if possible. But it's really anyone's guess right now.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Mordraken » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:13 pm

Amazinz wrote:They can be charged with perjury and if anyone is, my guess is that they will make an example of that player(s) by prosecuting them during the season, if possible.

Ray Lewis was charged as an accessory to murder and didn't miss any time; numerous players have been charged with drug offenses, assault and domestic abuse offenses, and never miss time - even if convicted! The courts MIGHT try to prosecute them during the season, but the defense lawyers will postpone it or file motions to delay it until the season is over.

I wouldn't sweat it.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby ike301 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:57 pm

Mordraken wrote:
Amazinz wrote:They can be charged with perjury and if anyone is, my guess is that they will make an example of that player(s) by prosecuting them during the season, if possible.

Ray Lewis was charged as an accessory to murder and didn't miss any time; numerous players have been charged with drug offenses, assault and domestic abuse offenses, and never miss time - even if convicted! The courts MIGHT try to prosecute them during the season, but the defense lawyers will postpone it or file motions to delay it until the season is over.

I wouldn't sweat it.

very good points.

but to pkay devil's advocate - i need a every day player. not someone who'll play 75%. i mean, using a poor example like kobe ( i know it's not fair to compare perjury and rape, b/c it's not in the same class), but i think his performance will be compromised mentally and physically. right? i just dont want to jump the gun, b/c i was offered sheffy for my j beckett....

very tough situation. any other comments?

thanks again, i really appreciate the comments. this board has been absolutely awesome. leave me your links, and i'll help you as much i as can.
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:01 pm

Yes you are correct, Mordraken, under normal circurmstances. But you also have the politcal dynamic that is not usually involved when a sports star(s) goes to court. The Bush administration is exerting a lot of pressure on this investigation and inevitably any prosecutions. They have made statements that lead me to believe they will make examples out of any athletes charged partly due to the flak they are catching from the international community. Will it play out this way? I don't know but it's a very real possibility and I would not be completely confident that defense lawyers will be able to manipulate this the way they have in the past. I'm no expert, just my opinion. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Mordraken » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:13 pm

I see. It's my opinion too so we'll see what is stronger:

Political influence from the gov't and "outraged" public
-OR-
Lawers funded out of the fat wallets of professional sports clubs.

My bet is on the money ;)
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby ike301 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:16 pm

Mordraken wrote:I see. It's my opinion too so we'll see what is stronger:

Political influence from the gov't and "outraged" public
-OR-
Lawers funded out of the fat wallets of professional sports clubs.

My bet is on the money ;)

Don't take any offense, but i'm going with politics. Guess who's paying the lawyers?
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dewey » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:29 pm

The Bush administration has nothing to do with it.The Senate are the ones that did the grilling of Fehr and Selig.John Mccain is a hard ass and he will get to the bottom of it and I think it will be better for the game in the long run.
dewey

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ike301 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:37 pm

ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers