interesting article from the NY times

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/10/sport ... ALTAVISTA1
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:52 pm

dewey wrote:The Bush administration has nothing to do with it.

This is incorrect. Although not directly involved they have been lobbying for this investigation to be handled in a certain manner since the beginning. I think it is a little naive to believe that their lobbying has had no impact on the investigation, the Senate proceedings and eventually any prosecutions.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby ike301 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:
dewey wrote:The Bush administration has nothing to do with it.

This is incorrect. Although not directly involved they have been lobbying for this investigation to be handled in a certain manner since the beginning. I think it is a little naive to believe that their lobbying has had no impact on the investigation, the Senate proceedings and eventually any prosecutions.

Yeah, the audience is too large to not get national if not international awareness of illegal steriod use. that and sports is a HUGE money maker.
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ike301 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:20 pm

any insider news in regards to the samples that were seized? any speculations? i still have the Sheffield for my Beckett trade on the table. need advice.
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ike301 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:01 pm

just want to revisit this. anyone else have any insider news as to what MAY happen? or if you have any predictions as to what would happen if they do test positive?
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ike301 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:16 am

so i was talking to some buddies about this whole situation over some ales, and well this is the point he was making.

(conveienetly, he's the other side of the trade deal, so i dont know if he's b.s.ing me.)

in any case, he was saying that bonds, giambi, and sheffield all testified under immunity of the federales (FED). which means, that they can't be punished by them. Ok. Good. And then he adds that well, the league probably won't punish the players too, if they were found to be users. i mean, the MLB is a huge business, and they wouldnt want to hurt themselves, therefore he's saying that the Balco incident will be handled behind closed doors and that future incidents will result in suspensions / expulsions. but not this time.

is this a valid assumption? thoughts?
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:23 am

AFAIK they were granted immunites for testifying but those immunities will be null and void if they are found guilty of perjury. The players you mentioned are untouchable by MLB for any actions that may be come known from this investigation they only have to fear federal prosecution.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby ike301 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:31 am

Amazinz wrote:AFAIK they were granted immunites for testifying but those immunities will be null and void if they are found guilty of perjury. The players you mentioned are untouchable by MLB for any actions that may be come known from this investigation they only have to fear federal prosecution.

interesting, interesting. right, that make sense. so the immunity will be null or void. so what i'm hearing is that they can and probably will be punished by the law (perhaps jail time/fines) but not by the MLB. even if found guilty, the MLB will not do anything???
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers