Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the deal with Gil Meche?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the deal with Gil Meche?

Postby BostonBK7 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:34 pm

Is he a pitcher who I shouldn't bother with? He's had a high era and whip his whole career and I have the feeling he's only going to hurt my team, even if he gets some wins. Luckily I didn't put him in tonight, is it just the Texas power which is spraying him or is he going to be like this all season long.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ZAZ » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:50 pm

I think he got way too overrated after blanking the Yanks last year. He's nothing special. Couple that with the fact that the Mariners don't look like they can score this year and..........
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby mmdmaznn » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:11 am

I'm in the same boat. Had a choice between him and Ramon Ortiz and I dropped Ortiz for him. Not much meat there for a choice...but I'm just about to give up on him. Probably keep him on the bench for a couple starts and then decide whether to drop him or not. However, his last start against Hudson really was a strong one even though he didn't pull off the win. I was at the Coliseum for that game and he really did pitch a great game.
"No risk, no reward..."
mmdmaznn
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby sley » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:21 am

I watched the game today. He has good stuff and knows how to pitch. I think the problem for him today more than anything is that he was facing a red hot Texas offense. They jumped all over his fastball at first, but he adjusted nicely and finished up with 3 scoreless innings. I think he's a guy you use against weak and average offenses and bench when he's facing a great offense. Although when he is on he can dominate any offense.
sley

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:54 am

Meche has tremendous stuff and a high ceiling, BUT.......he has the unfortunate injury history and a dimwit for a manager. What Melvin did with him last year was an outrage. Allowing him to pitch more IP last season than he had in the previous three seasons COMBINED. That is truly ridiculous, and surely explained his major burnout in the second half last year. Could be he still feels the effects. I'd sure rather have Meche than Ramon Ortiz, but the feeling here is that there are a number of low-risk sleepers still available in many leagues that I would now prefer.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:59 pm

Demo...depends on your needs, but without specifics I would take Kolb.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers