Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior Question

Postby prodpaul » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:12 am

Prior is going to be available in our draft in the 3rd Round. Is that too early to take him you think?

Let me know your opions. I want a pitcher there and those available will be

Mulder
Hudson
Morris
Prior
Wood
Clemens
Wade Miller
Millwood

Let me know.
Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -177)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Swing for the fences » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:49 am

We really need more info for this question. But, if you really want a pitcher then take Prior. Is it a keeper league? Who is already on your staff?
Swing hard, just in case you hit the ball.
Swing for the fences
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby radiohead8 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:12 pm

Prior is going to be available in our draft in the 3rd Round. Is that too early to take him you think?

I'm going to be in a similar situation. I have the third pick in a ten team snake draft. I feel like I have to draft Prior because he has such a huge upside if he can come even close to meeting scouts' expectations of him. But I would have to take him with my late second/early third round pick if I want him. I think I'm going to do it and take him, despite all the heckling I might get for drafting an unproven player that high. I don't think he'll be much help in the Wins category, but other than that he should be one of the few pitchers that can get into the mid-200 Ks and should have a solid ERA and WHIP.

So to answer your question, I don't think that the third round is too early to take Prior. But I have a history of placing too much emphasis on players' potential instead of their proven performance...
radiohead8
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:26 pm

In the two drafts that I've done so far I've gotten him in the 4th and in the 9th. I was happy to get him in both places, especially 9th.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:36 pm

Every round, I check to see if prior is on the board. He is buried in the yahoo rankings so some managers forget about him. Then, somebody snags him, right out from under me because i passed him up one too many times trying to fill a SS or a closer. I have two more drafts, and im going to get prior, if i can. It seems as though he has nothin but an upside. I project these numbers.

17-5 -------- 250k --------3.10 ERA --------- 1.15 WHIP

Just a guess, but that looks pretty good
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby La§ Aguila§ » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:53 pm

yup that looks good
[b]DoMiNiCaN FoR LiFe ![/b]
La§ Aguila§
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -93)

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:53 pm

I took him at the end of the 3rd round. Some chuckled it was too early, others muttered curse words. I don't think he would have been there with my 4th round pick.

Prior should be the 5th SP taken, and he should be gone by round 4. If I could design my 'perfect draft,' It would be 2-3 bats, then Prior in the 3rd or 4th.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby bryan1327 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:07 pm

In one of my Yahoo leagues I pulled Prior off in the seventh round...and I am very happy to have gotten him there...

In another league I had to get him in the fifth round...so in my later draft...in the 7th I felt I got a steal with him..

Goood luck...
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby Aryeh2b » Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:48 am

prior is gonna be a great picther and in a keeper league u should definitley grab him but i would take miller (ridiculous last year after the break) or mulder, 2 proven talents first
Aryeh2b
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ramble2 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:48 am

Last year I grabbed Berkman at the beginning of the third round and endured chuckles and mocking. I merely pointed at his OPS, and sat back and let his bat do the talking for me. I'm sure those who drafted Soriano in the 2nd or 3rd round last year had a similar experience.

In other words, grab Prior early, sit back and enjoy the ride. ;-D
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers