Return to Baseball Leftovers

yahoo fantasy strategy question.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

yahoo fantasy strategy question.

Postby gimpybunters » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:49 pm

In yahoo you get a certain amount of IP for all of the pitchers to share during the year.

Would it be a good Idea to pick up a few set up guys that have great WHIP/ERA/SO numbers and just rotate out your SP as they start..

Has anyone tried this and does it work.
You Can Do It
gimpybunters
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Good idea. What I do is put in closers that qualify for SP (graves and chacon) and that way I have 5 closers in at the same time instead of only 3. I didn't draft top closers but I'll still win the saves category! Also, starters are more important for your whip and era (they use more innings) so focus on getting a couple good starters to bolster those categories, then bank on saves with the SP/RP closers (and don't worry about K's, all closers throw close to or above 1 K/IP).
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:45 pm

Kelly Gruber wrote:(and don't worry about K's, all closers throw close to or above 1 K/IP).

Good advice, Gruber ;-D Except for that last point...

Relievers and a few starters won't win you strikeouts.. that's mostly dominated by having a healthy rotation of starters.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:42 pm

Everybody uses the same amount of innings in the end, so it doesn't matter if you carry more starters than relievers for strikeouts. Most closers (except Looper, Graves, Mesa and we'll see with Chacon) pitch at least 1 K/IP. That's what you get from a very good starter...
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:47 pm

It depends on what your innings limit is. If you are running 5 closers out there, it will be hard to hit the innings limit in most leagues. So your K's will be lower on average becuase your innings are going to be lower as well.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:50 pm

You can still carry a normal rotation with the extra closers; worse comes to worse you sit a closer if more than 2 of your starters are pitching on the same day...or, if you are projected to finish low, then in August and September you can pick up and drop pitchers pitching against Detroit (although that may not work this year!) or other spot starts.
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:22 am

I just said this in another thread, but in a league with limited innings and no holds catagory, you will not find a middle reliever on any of my teams. I'd rather have extra closers or starters for wins or saves rather than burning those innings on era/whip/k help. Just my opinion on the matter. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:33 am

The thing is lights out middle relievers can have more value than marginal back of the rotation starters. Guys like Brad Lidge can get you over a K/inning, and if he performs similar in the setup role that Dotel has the past couple of years, probably 6-10 wins with 100 Ks and a solid ERA and WHIP. That is probably worth more than a starter that will win 12 games with a 4.25 ERA, 1.40 WHIP and 120 Ks, plus burn up 200 innings doing it instead of 80.

The only problem is there are very few middle relievers that are good enough to have that kind of value. Lidge, Hawkins, Felix Rodriguez (has always been a wins vulture), and K-Rod are among those that come to mind. These guys might also be more valuable than awful closers like Rocky Biddle who will probably hurt your ratios as much as they help you with saves.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers