Return to Baseball Leftovers

Views on Kyle Lohse as sleeper SP...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Views on Kyle Lohse as sleeper SP...

Postby kcs261 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:17 pm

From the get-go, I will tell you that I doubt that this guy will ever anchor anybody's fantasy staff. But for a late or middle of the rotation starter for a fantasy team, I don't think he's a bad sleeper. Yet, he went undrafted in my league. And he is slipping by owners in various other leagues.

In case you didn't know, in his first full year as a starter, he went 13-8, 4.23 ERA, 124 K, 70 BB, 1.389 WHIP (1.181 in 2nd half). The kid is only 24 & pithces on a good Twins' team. So with a little improvement in his second year, one could easily predict 15 wins along with better secondary numbers. That wouldn't be too bad for a late round pick.

Does anybody else have an opinion on Lohse?
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

um

Postby rjforlife » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:59 pm

since nobody else wants to respond i will with 4 simple words.

lohse is a bum.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby kcs261 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:28 am

A bum, huh? Ouch.

I realize that Lohse is not a fantasy stud. But he does have the potential to be a Brad Radke-type guy. And at a minimum, anybody with 13 wins, and in ERA in the low 4s after starting one full year, is at least deserving of more jack than being called a "bum".

Interestingly enough, TSN's preseason rankings list Lohse above or equal to: T. Lilly, J. Garland, C. Fossum, R. Lopez, D. Wells, K.Rogers, J. Santana, T. Ohka, B.Sheets, T. Armas Jr., Duckworth, J. Peavy, O. Perez, B. Myers, etc., etc., etc. These aren't great players. But they are all players who are going in most mixed drafts.

I will admit that I am baffled that the Twins would start Lohse over Santana. But that's another issue. I suspect that could be one reason for the animosity towards the guy.

Anybody else have a little better opinion of a 13-game winner on a good team?
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Return to Baseball Leftovers