Postby Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:41 am

villafuerte for now til hoffman returns

share by committee in boston between 3 RP

underdogs...german, spooneybarger

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

hm

Postby rjforlife » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:53 am

1: boston looks like they are gonna use fox and embree equally, but id bet that embree gets 20.

2: san diego is a wild place but it looks like its villafuertes job. but witasick and jaret wright are ready to pounce if he screws up.

3: KC has some good young arms, but macdougal is the man for now, this kid throws smoke, could get 25+. grimsley is lurking there, but IMO macdougal will be great this year.

4: Detroit has named anderson as the closer but it seems like they want him to screw up so they can get german in there, so i would say either take german really really late or hope he isnt drafted and be ready to snag him if and when anderson falters.

5: florida has again started with looper, but he was aful early last season and nunez got 20 saves. same thing could happen this year but keep an eye on tim spooneybarger, they signed him for a reason.

6. arizona is trying out mantei again, and there is little faith in him because of his injuries, but he has been pitching well this spring and could save 30+ if he can keep throwing that high 90's smoke.

7. toronto is kind of a longshot but sooner or later they are going to have to get sick of Escobars 4.5 era, 1.5 whip and 9 blown saves. cliff politte can gas it up and is a deep sleeper for 10-15 saves later in the year if escobar gets the hook.

8. tampa sucks, but remeber mike williams saved 45 last year and pitt only won about 65 games. esteban yan could get you an EXTREMELY cheap 30 saves, but dont count on it

9. chicago is like toronto in that it seems only a matter of time before alfonseca gets pulled and remlinger is put to use. with wood clement prior and zambrano, if remlinger gets a chance he could save a lot of games.

10. montreal is like tampa, in that they have a closer in scott stewart that isnt bad, its just that the team doesnt win. he is an injury risk but could get 30 if he stays healthy.

well there you have it. this is mostly not knowledge i have really thought up on my own but rather a collaboration of what ive read here, in newspapers, online, and on espn. hope this helps.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Camel » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:16 am

I agree with everything the above 2 posters said except for 1 thing:

Estaban Yan is on the Rangers now, not the Devil Rays. I've heard a couple different stories about who the closer's going to be in Tampa - one place said Travis Phelps is going to close, the other said Jesus Colome and Lance Carter are battling for the spot. All I'm sure of is that Esteban Yan will not be a closer this year.

Also, check to see if Jimenez is available - sometimes he gets overlooked.
Camel

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

whoops

Postby rjforlife » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:28 am

yeah sorry i realize that right after i posted it. anyways, stay away from those other TB closers, yan is a decent pitcher that was a starter turned closer, those other 2 guys you mentioned arent worth drafting....thanks for pointing out the yan mistake.. :-]
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby cardinals15 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:51 am

We will see if Alfonseca is out for a long time. Getting carried off on a cart is never a good sign. I love Remlinger as a middle reliever, but as a closer, at least in Atlanta he never seemed to be able to grab any small opportunity to close, when he was competiting with guys like Lightenberg, Rocker, Karsay. Now he will be competiting with guys like Veres, Farnsworth, Borowski. They may leave him as a middle lefty reliever where he has always been comfortable and go with Veres or Farnsworth. It may all be moot if Alfonseca is ok though.
cardinals15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers