Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst arm in baseball???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fantasyballer » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:08 am

bernie williams. nowadays, the throw bounces three times before it reaches the infield when he chucks one. meanwhile, the guy scoring at homeplate gets greedy and decides to head to first base for a second trip around the bags.
Fantasyballer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:08 am

Throwing errors and the phobias that some of these guys develop can end careers. Remember Chuck Knoblauch and his throws into the second row - remember Mackey Sasser who lost his job because he couldn't throw it back to the pitcher? I still remember him walking the ball out to the mound, sad.

I looked up Sasser and found out about another catcher who had this problem: Mike Ivie. I had never heard about him before. Here is a link if you are interested

http://www.bigbadbaseball.com/articles/ ... 00623.html
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:18 am

timely wrote:I just went over some stats and noticed that in 4 games against Colorado, Roberts has stolen 8 bases. Whose catching for Colorado most of the time this season?? Does an upcoming game against Colorado indicate it would be a great idea to play your speedsters instead of your power hitters????

I really think you are on to something here.
Its been a couple yrs since CJ has done anything, so I forgot what the scouting report on his throwing arm is. If anyone has a report on Charles Johnson - especially on his defense, please either post or direct to a link.

Also, this thread may have gotten hijacked a bit. I think our timely guest is still only interested in Cs who are more susceptible to giving up SBs because of bad defense ontheir part.

On a similar note, who are the top defensive Cs out there - guys who may change your mind about starting your SB players against them?

For my part, I would like to hear about those guys who are younger, and are less recognizable. I already know about Pudge and Posada.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Baggins » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:39 am

I haven't looked at the stats, but...though I hate to admit it...Varitek...primarily being a "pitcher's catcher", as opposed to a "defensive" and/or "offensive" catcher...sure doesn't strike fear in the hearts of potential "theives". :-]

"Quote, unquote." :-D
"Back then, if you had a sore arm, the only people concerned were you and your wife. Now it's you, your wife, your agent, your investment counselor, your stockbroker, and your publisher." -- Jim Bouton
Baggins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby chipper » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:45 am

Barry Bonds has a weak arm.
chipper

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:53 am

I remember once seeing Piazza try to gun somebody out at 2nd base and he hit his own pitcher....

....and yes, the pitcher ducked. 8-o
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby Patella Tendon » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:07 am

The worst arm is owned by Brian Lawrence - I think he's got his fastball up to 82mph this year.
Patella Tendon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby WhiteHot » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:09 am

Jamie Moyer tops out in the low 80s too.

They call him a finesse pitcher. I call him old and decripid.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Juhlz » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:22 am

Johnny Damon throws like he is using the wrong arm.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehotcorner » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:49 pm

LBJackal wrote:Worst throwing catcher: Piazza

He's not coordinated enough to walk and chew gum, but he can do one thing well: hit the ball.

i beg to differ. come watch a mets game and you'll see piazza blowing bubbles as he strolls down the line to first instead of runnin hard with his head down.
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers