Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst arm in baseball???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Randy Watson » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:20 pm

A little old school - Steve Sax and Mike Boddicker
"Girl, you look so good, someone ought to put you on a plate and sop you up with a biscuit!"
Randy Watson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:31 pm

Fantasyballer wrote:bernie williams. nowadays, the throw bounces three times before it reaches the infield when he chucks one. meanwhile, the guy scoring at homeplate gets greedy and decides to head to first base for a second trip around the bags.

I was wondering when he was gonna get mentioned. He really throws like a girl. It looks like he's shotputting the ball in.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Baggins » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:09 pm

chipper wrote:Barry Bonds has a weak arm.

I probably shouldn't give a guest the satisfaction of a quote, but...I sure wouldn't want to arm wrestle Barry. :-D (I pray this doesn't start a new thread about "which pro player would win in an arm wrestling match". Though I think its obvious who the finalists would be...as well as why. ) }:-)
"Back then, if you had a sore arm, the only people concerned were you and your wife. Now it's you, your wife, your agent, your investment counselor, your stockbroker, and your publisher." -- Jim Bouton
Baggins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby mtarail » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:48 pm

Randy Watson wrote:A little old school - Steve Sax and Mike Boddicker

Took the words right out of my mouth with Sax. Steve Garvey was pathetic throwing the ball too. Getting it around the horn after an out was always an adventure in LA. Funny thing was that Garvey was a multiple Gold Glover. He just could not throw the ball.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fezzik » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:15 pm

Personally, I don't think it's necessarily Charles Johnson as much as it is Scott Elarton (referring to all the bases Roberts stole). 7 of Roberts' 8 steals against the Rockies came when Elarton was pitching. I think Roberts just has a read on this guys move and can get huge jumps. I remember announcers alluding to the same piece of info while watching the games. Elarton's initial move towards the plate must be easy to observe. B-)

That's not to say Charles Johnson hasn't lost some arm strength (although 4 consecutive gold gloves in the late 90's is something to consider...both for his ability to block the plate and his strong arm).

Other than Piazza I can't really think of a Catcher with a significantly bad arm...maybe Javy? I don't remember his arm being too great....although now they're pretty damn big. 8-o
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:22 pm

Mackey Sasser?? 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:55 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Mackey Sasser?? 8-o

The double clutch. LMAO remembering that. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby thetruth » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:06 pm

in the outfield, damon and bernie are pretty bad.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spartans Rule » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:17 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:On a similar note, who are the top defensive Cs out there - guys who may change your mind about starting your SB players against them?

For my part, I would like to hear about those guys who are younger, and are less recognizable. I already know about Pudge and Posada.

Gerald Laird from Texas is off to a hot start in this department. He gunned down 3 Angels the other night which caught my attention in the boxscore. He's thrown out 6 of 10 on the year. I don't know too much about him but he's supposed to be pretty good defensively so he may be one to keep an eye on.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ondeckb » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:39 pm

KolbSaves wrote:I'll throw a Johnny Damon in there.

Agreed...there is no bigger rag arm in any outfield!! :-P
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers